Amin J. Barakat
Barakat is in full-time pediatric practice at Northern Virginia Pediatric Associates. He is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and the American Board of Hospital Physicians. He is also clinical professor of pediatrics and pediatric nephrology at Georgetown University and clinical professor of pediatrics at the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. Barakat is a member of the ALSAC/St Jude Children's Research Hospital Leadership Council, and president of the American Foundation for Saint George Hospital.
Early and personal life
Barakat was born in Monsef, Byblos, Lebanon, and attended Tripoli Boys School in Tripoli and International College, Beirut. He received his college and medical education at the American University of Beirut (AUB). From 1967 to 1970, he completed pediatric residencies at AUB and Johns Hopkins University Hospital in Baltimore, then obtained fellowship training in pediatric nephrology at Georgetown University from 1970 to 1972. Barakat has held academic teaching positions at AUB, Vanderbilt and Georgetown universities.
Barakat is married to Amal Nassar and has three children. He lives in Vienna, Virginia.
Barakat's focus in research has been with children with rare hereditary and congenital kidney disease.
In 1977, Barakat and co-authors J.B. D'Albora, M.M. Martin, and P.A. Jose described four siblings with familial nephrosis, nerve deafness, and hypoparathyroidism. This syndrome is now known as Barakat Syndrome.
Barakat syndrome is an inherited condition characterized by hypoparathyroidism, sensorineural hearing loss, and renal (kidney) disease. Most cases have been attributed to a mutation on chromosome 10p which affects the GATA3 gene. Inheritance is likely autosomal dominant. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive.
- Barakat, Amin Y. (1986). The Kidney in Genetic Disease. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone. ISBN 0-443-02104-X.
- Barakat, Amin Y. (1990). Renal Disease in Children: Clinical Evaluation and Diagnosis. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. ISBN 0-387-97036-3.
- Amin J. Barakat and Russell W. Chesney, editors. (2009). Pediatric Nephrology for Primary Care. Amer Academy of Pediatrics. ISBN 1-58110-297-6.
In 2007, Barakat edited the Arabic edition of the American Academy of Pediatrics's Caring For Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5.
- "Pseudohermaphroditism, Nephron Disorder and Wilms' Tumor: A Unifying Concept,” Pediatrics 54: 366, 1974.
- "Urogenital Abnormalities in Genetic Disease,” Journal of Urology l36: 778, 1986.
- "Hypokalemic Alkalosis, Hyperreninemia, Aldosteronism, Normal Blood Pressure and Normal Juxtaglomerular Apparatus : A New Syndrome of Renal Alkalosis,” International Journal of Pediatric Nephrology 7: 99, 1986.
- "Renal and Urinary Tract Abnormalities Associated with Chromosome Aberrations,” International Journal of Pediatric Nephrology 8: 215, 1987.
- "Townes-Brocks Syndrome: Report of Three Additional Patients with Previously Undescribed Renal and Cardiac Abnormalities,” Dysmorphology and Clinical Genetics 2: 104, 1988.
- "Antenatal Diagnosis of Renal Abnormalities: A Review of the State of the Art,” Journal of the Southern Medical Association 82: 229, 1989.
- “The Association of Congenital Abnormalities of the Kidney and Urinary Tract with Those of Other Organ Systems in 13,775 Autopsies,” Child Nephrology and Urology 9: 269, 1989.
- “An Infant with Deletion of the Distal Long Arm of Chromosome 15 (q26.1----qter) and Loss of Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 Receptor Gene,” American Journal of Medical Genetics, May 1991.
- “Reliability of Ultrasound in the Prenatal Diagnosis of Urinary Tract Abnormalities,” Pediatric Nephrology (Berlin, Germany), June 1991.
- “Occurrence of Congenital Abnormalities of Kidney and Urinary Tract in 13,775 Autopsies,” Urology, Jan. 1992.
- “Kidney Abnormalities in Hajdu-Cheney Syndrome,” Pediatric Nephrology (Berlin, Germany), March 1997.
- “Kidney Disease: Jade, Dialysis or Transplantation?” (editorial), Le Journal Médical Libanais (The Lebanese Medical Journal), Sept. 1997.
- “Renal Disease in Lebanese Children and Adolescents: Findings in 118 Consecutive Percutaneous Renal Biopsies,” Le Journal Médical Libanais (The Lebanese Medical Journal), June 1999.
- “Gitelman's Syndrome (Familial Hypokalemia-Hypomagnesemia),” Journal of Nephrology, June 2001.
- “22q13 Deletion Syndrome with Central Diabetes Insipidus: a Previously Unreported Association” - Clinical Dysmorphology, Jan. 2005.
- “Hereditary Angioedema in Children,” Angioedema 1:15, 2010.
- "Presentation of the Child with Renal Disease and Guidelines for Referral to the Pediatric Nephrologist" - International Journal of Pediatrics, Volume 2012 (2012).
Awards and honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Ellis Island Medal of Honor
- Best Doctors in America
- Guide to America's Top Pediatricians
- Who's Who in Medicine and Health Care, Who's Who in America, Who's Who in the World
- Famous Lebanese-Americans - Habeeb.com Retrieved Oct. 10, 2012
- Meet the Doctors - Northern Virginia Pediatric Associates Retrieved Oct. 10, 2012
- Faculty Listing – Pediatric Nephrology, Georgetown University Retrieved Oct. 10, 2012
- 2011 Annual Report - ALSAC/St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Retrieved Oct. 11, 2012
- Board of Directors - American Foundation for Saint George Hospital, Inc Retrieved Oct. 11, 2012
- “Success in America, But Heart is Here,” Lebanon Daily Star, June 12, 2000.
- Barakat, A.Y.; D'Albora, J.B., Martin, M.M., Jose, P.A. (1 July 1977). "Familial nephrosis, nerve deafness, and hypoparathyroidism". The Journal of Pediatrics 91 (1): 61–64. doi:10.1016/S0022-3476(77)80445-9. PMID 874665.
- Magnalini, I.S., et al. Dictionary of Medical Syndromes, 4th edition, Philadelphia: J.B. Lippencott-Raven, 1997, p 73.
- Gene Map Locus: 10pter-p13 or 10p14-p15.1.
- Barakat, A.J. “Hypoparathyroidism - Deafness - Renal Disease,” Orphanet, September 2008
- “Hypoparathyroidism, Sensorineural Deafness and Renal Disease,” listed in McKusick V. Mendalian, Inheritance in Man, 12th edition, volume 2, Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1998. MIM ID # 146255
- Rimoin, D.L., J.M. Connor, R.E. Pyeritz, and B.R. Korf. Emery and Rimoin’s Principles and Practice of Medical Genetics, fourth edition, volume 2, London: Churchill Livingstone, 2002, p. 2217.
- Ranjbar-Omrani, Gholamhossein, Nima Zamiri, Behnam Sabayan, and Azam Mohammadzadeh. “Concomitant Hypoparathyroidism, Sensorineural Deafness, and Renal Agenesis: A Case of Barakat Syndrome,” Archives of Iranian Medicine, Volume 11, Number 3, 2008: 337–340
- “Success in America, But Heart is Here,” Lebanon Daily Star, June 12, 2000
- Ellis Island Medals of Honor – National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations Retrieved Oct. 10, 2012
- Amin J. Barakat - Marquis Who's Who Retrieved Oct. 12, 2012
- “Lifeline: Amin J. Barakat” - The Lancet, Vol. 363, p. 5, March 13, 2004