|Public limited company
FTSE 250 Component
|Traded as||LSE: AML|
|Headquarters||St. Helen's, 1 Undershaft, London, United Kingdom|
|Roger Taylor, (Chairman)
Charles Philipps, (CEO)
|Revenue||£2,476.4 million (2014)|
|£270.6 million (2014)|
|£236.4 million (2014)|
Number of employees
|1,700 in seven countries (2013)|
Amlin plc is an independent insurer operating in the Lloyd's, UK, Continental Europe and Bermudian markets. Specialising in providing insurance cover to commercial enterprises and reinsurance protection to other insurance companies around the world, Amlin's shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange, and the company is a member of the FTSE 250 Index.
The Company was formed on the 28 September 1998 through the merger of Angerstein Underwriting Trust and Murray Lawrence Group syndicate (the name was derived by combining 'A' from Angerstein, 'ML' from Murray Lawrence Group and 'IN' from Insurance). However, the oldest part of the business (K J Coles Syndicate) dates back to 1903. In 2008 it bought Anglo French Underwriters  and subsequently renamed it as Amlin France in 2010. In July 2009 it acquired Fortis Corporate Insurance for €350m only to be renamed Amlin Corporate Insurance. In December 2011 Amlin issued a 'catastrophe bond' with a yield of 16.75% to try and protect shareholders from the worst effects of severe losses.
Amlin is organised as follows:
- Amlin Bermuda
- Amlin Europe
- A specialised insurer for large and medium sized companies in continental Europe.
- Amlin London
- Amlin Re Europe
- Amlin UK
- Operates as part of Amlin Underwriting Limited and underwrites business through Syndicate 2001 at Lloyd's.
- Syndicate 2001 (Reinsurance/Insurance)
- Amlin AG (Reinsurance)
- Amlin Europe NV
As of January 2014 the major shareholders in Amlin were:
- Invesco Ltd: 69,519,312 (13.9%)
- Baillie Gifford & Co: 25,136,807 (5.1%)
- BlackRock, Inc.: 24,551,817 (4.9%)
- Majedie Asset Management Ltd: 23,663,478 (4.8%)
- AXA S.A.: 23,197,732 (4.7%)
- JPMorgan Chase & Co: 19,624,490 (4.0%)
The above gives the shareholder name, followed by the number of shares owned and their subsequent percentage holding.
In early 2014, Amlin teamed up with the University of Oxford to study the dangers of relying on catastrophe predictions – in the latest sign of the industry’s concern over the accuracy of computer models.
In 2009, the company signed a sponsorship deal with Rugby Union's European Rugby Cup to partner the two elite rugby tournaments in Europe. Amlin is the title sponsor of the Amlin Challenge Cup and a premium partner of the Heineken Cup. In 2010 Essex County Cricket Club signed Amlin as its sponsor  and in early 2014 Amlin signed a three year deal to become the platinum sponsor of Essex County Cricket Club. The company also sponsors the Eventing Grand Prix at Hickstead and the UK Youth London Art Show. In 2014, Amlin announced the sponsorship of the FIA Formula E Championship racing team Amlin Aguri.
On September 11, 2001 Syndicate 2001 suffered a $137.2m loss from the terrorist attacks that day. In 2011 Amlin made significant losses after £500m in claims from disasters including the Fukushima earthquake and Thai floods. in January 2012 the company paid out a small percentage of the total claims resulting from the Costa Concordia disaster.
- "Preliminary Results 2014" (PDF). Amlin. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- "Angerstein Underwriting Trust acquires Murray Lawrence". Thompson M&A. 28 September 1998. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Overview - Amlin plc". Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Amlin completes acquisition of Anglo French Underwriters". Post on line. 26 November 2008. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Amlin acquires Fortis Corporate Insurance for €350m". The Telegraph. 3 June 2009. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Lloyd's of London insurer Amlin launches 'catastrophe bond'". Sharecast. 24 December 2011. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "Amlin rents space in the Cheesegrater". The Telegraph. December 2012. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Amlin About Us". Post on line. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Financial strength ratings". Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Major Shareholders - Amlin plc". Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Insurer and Oxford university link for catastrophe study". Financial Times. 9 February 2014. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Essex Cricket Club signs Amlin as sponsor". 23 April 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "Amlin's continued support for Essex cricket". 24 January 2014. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- "Hickstead latest news". 28 April 2011. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "Amlin sponsors art show". 22 September 2009. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "Amlin Aguri Official FIA Formula E Championship". Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "History - Amlin plc". Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Natural disasters push Amlin to £194m loss". The Telegraph. 5 March 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "Amlin estimates pay out on cruise disaster". Sharecast. 7 February 2012. Retrieved 13 April 2012.