||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)|
Since July 1, 2014, Yong has been Professor of Theology & Mission at Fuller Theological Seminary and director of the Fuller Theological Seminary's Center for Missiological Research. He was the J. Rodman Williams Professor of Theology and Dean at Regent University School of Divinity (Virginia Beach, VA) until June 2014. His Ph.D. from Boston University is in religion and theology, and he also has a B.A. from Bethany College, an M.A. from Western Evangelical Seminary, and an M.A. from Portland State University. He is a former president of the Society for Pentecostal Studies (2008–09) and co-edited its journal, PNEUMA from 2011-2014. He was the founding co-chair for the Pentecostal-Charismatic Movements Group for the American Academy of Religion (2006–2011), and is co-editor of two monograph series: Pentecostal Manifestos (Eerdmans), Studies in Religion, Theology and Disability (Baylor), and CHARIS: Christianity & Renewal - Interdisciplinary Studies (Palgrave Macmillan). A licensed minister in the Assemblies of God, Yong was born in Malaysia and immigrated to the United States. In the last decade, he has become one of the most prolific writers among Pentecostal theologians in the academy. As of 2012, he has devoted scholarly monographs to interreligious dialogue and comparative theology, global Pentecostal theology, theology of disability, political theology, dialogue between science and religion, and theology of love. What may be his most important book (Spirit-Word-Community) is an articulation of a trinitarian theological method and hermeneutic that provides the conceptual basis for all of his other work. In it he demonstrates his ability to bring a Pentecostal account of pneumatology to bear on a number of perennial theological and philosophical concerns, even as he shows that he is not interested only in parochial Pentecostal issues.
- Discerning the Spirit(s): A Pentecostal-Charismatic Contribution to Christian Theology of Religions (2000) ISBN 9781841271330
- Spirit-Word-Community: Theological Hermeneutics in Trinitarian Perspective (2002) ISBN 9780754605416
- Beyond the Impasse: Toward a Pneumatological Theology of Religions (2003) ISBN 9780801026126
- The Spirit Poured Out on All Flesh: Pentecostalism and the Possibility of Global Theology (2005) ISBN 9780801027703
- Theology and Down Syndrome: Reimagining Disability in Late Modernity (2007) ISBN 9781602580060
- Hospitality and the Other: Pentecost, Christian Practices, and the Neighbor (2008) ISBN 9781570757723
- In the Days of Caesar: Pentecostalism and Political Theology - The Cadbury Lectures 2009 (2010) ISBN 9780802864062
- The Bible, Disability, and the Church: A New Vision of the People of God (2011) ISBN 9780802866080
- The Spirit of Creation: Modern Science and Divine Action in the Pentecostal-Charismatic Imagination (2011) ISBN 9780802866127
- Who is the Holy Spirit?: A Walk with the Apostles (2011) ISBN 9781557256355
- The Cosmic Breath: Spirit and Nature in the Christian-Buddhism-Science Trialogue (2012) ISBN 9789004205130
- Pneumatology and the Christian-Buddhist Dialogue, Does the Spirit Blow through the Middle Way? (2012) ISBN 9789004231177
- Spirit of Love: A Trinitarian Theology of Grace (2012) ISBN 9781602583269
- Renewing Christian Theology: Systematics for a Global Christianity (2014) ISBN 1602587612
- The Future of Evangelical Theology: Soundings from the Asian American Diaspora (2014) ISBN 0830840605
- "Many Tongues, Many Senses: Pentecost, the Body Politic, and the Redemption of Dis/ability.” Pneuma 31, 2 (2009): 167-188.
- (with Dale M. Coulter) "From West to East: The Renewal of the Leading Journal in Pentecostal Studies.” Pneuma 10, 2 (2011): 147-173.
- "Sons and Daughters, Young and Old: Toward a Pentecostal Theology of the Family.” PentecoStudies 10, 2 (2011): 147-173.
- "Science and Religion: Introducing the Issues, Entering the Debates--A Review Essay.” Christian Scholar's Review 40, 2 (Winter 2011): 189-203.
- "Reading Scripture and Nature: Pentecostal Hermeneutics and Their Implications for the Contemporary Evangelical Theology and Science Conversation.” Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith 63, 1 (March 2011): 3-15.
- "Disability and the Love of Wisdom: De-Forming, Re-Forming, and Per-Forming Philosophy of Religion.” Evangelical Review of Theology 35, 2 (April 2011): 160-176.
- "The Spirit of Science: Are Pentecostals Ready to Engage the Discussion?" Cyberjournal for Pentecostal-Charismatic Research (April 20, 2011).
- "Disability Theology of the Resurrection: Persisting Questions and Additional Considerations--A Response to Ryan Mullins.” Ars Disputandi 12 (2012).
- "Pentecostal Scholarship and Scholarship on Pentecostalism: The Next Generation.” Pneuma 34, 2 (2012): 161-165.
- "What's Love Got to Do With It?: The Sociology of Godly Love and the Renewal of Modern Pentecostalism.” Journal of Pentecostal Theology 21, 1 (2012): 113-134.
- "Informality, Illegality, and Improvisation: Theological Reflections on Money, Migration, and Ministry in Chinatown, NYC, and Beyond.” Journal of Race, Ethnicity, and Religion 3, 2 (January 2012).
- "Sanctification, Science, and the Spirit: Salvaging Holiness in the Late Modern World.” Wesleyan Theological Journal 47, 2 (Fall 2012): 36-52.
- "The Buddhist-Christian Encounter in the United States: Reflections on Christian Practices." In Ecumenical Directions in the United States Today: Churches on a Theological Journey, eds. Antonios Kireopoulos and Juliana Mecera. New York: Paulist Press, 2011.
- "The Spirit, Vocation, and the Life of the Mind: A Pentecostal Testimony." In Pentecostals in the Academy: Testimonies of Call, eds. Steven M. Fettke and Robby Waddell. Cleveland: CPT Press, 2012.
- "Relational Theology and the Holy Spirit." In Relational Theology: A Contemporary Introduction, eds. Brint Montgomery, Thomas J. Oord, and Karen Strand Winslow. Eugene: Wipf & Stock, 2012.
- "Pentecostal and Charismatic Theology." In The Routledge Companion to Modern Christian Thought, eds. James Beilby and Chad Meister. New York: Routledge, 2013.
- "Amos Yong". Contemporary Authors Online. Detroit: Gale. 2011. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Lee, Hye Jin. "Alum Profile: Amos Yong, Ph.D. 1999". Boston University School of Theology Center for Global Christianity & Mission. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- Olson, Roger E. (March 2006). "A Wind that Swirls Everywhere". Christianity Today 50 (3): 52–54. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- Amos Yong, Beyond the Impasse: Toward a Pneumatological Theology of Religions (Baker Academic, 2003)