Ko Yao District
Amphoe location in Phang Nga Province
|Seat||Ko Yao Noi|
|• Total||141.06 km2 (54.46 sq mi)|
|• Density||90.3/km2 (234/sq mi)|
|Time zone||THA (UTC+7)|
The district covers several islands of the Ko Yao archipelago within the Phang Nga Bay, near the island of Phuket. The two main islands are named Ko Yao Yai and Koh Yao Noi (big long island and small long island).
The northern tips of the islands are part of the Ao Pang Nga National Park.
The majority of the population are Sunni Muslims. The Muslim religion was introduced in the 13th century by Arab traders.
- Hat Lom Lae - Probably the nicest & quietest beach on the island, with only 2 small hotels nearby. Located at the most south-eastern tip.
- Hat Pa Sai - This clean white sandy beach is located only 7 km from the office of Amphoe Ko Yao. It is surrounded with pleasant shady-trees and swimming can be done safely.
- Ao Lan - A beautiful sandy beach where swimming is possible but the northern part of the cape is a steep cliff with deep water under the cliff.
- Ao Klong Son - The clean white sandy beach which pleasant with shady pine trees. Swimming can be done safely here and beautiful coral reefs can be observed
- Hat Tha Khao - The rocky beach that located 5 km from the office of Amphoe Ko Yao. There are colourful rocks and gravels with various designs on the beach. Not so far from the shore, there is a small island called Ko Nok where you can access by walking during the low tide time.
- Laem Hat - A very long white powdery beach and looks pleasant with shady coconut groves, cashew nuts, and pine trees.
The district is subdivided into 3 subdistricts (tambon), which are further subdivided into 18 villages (muban). Ko Yao itself has subdistrict municipality (thesaban tambon) status, which covers parts of tambon Ko Yao Noi. There are further 3 Tambon administrative organizations (TAO).
- "พระราชกฤษฎีกาตั้งอำเภอนามน อำเภอพระยืน อำเภอหนองบัวระเหว อำเภอบ้านเหลื่อม อำเภอจะแนะ อำเภอหนองหงส์ อำเภอนาโพธิ์ อำเภอเกาะยาว อำเภอแกดำ อำเภอสระโบสถ์ อำเภอโนนคูณ อำเภอควนโดน อำเภอไชยวาน อำเภอหนองแสง และอำเภอตาลสุม พ.ศ. ๒๕๓๐". Royal Gazette (in Thai) 104 (278 ก special): 33–37. December 31, 1987.
- "Population statistics 2008". Department of Provincial Administration.
- Koh Yao Noi Directory  - A well documented blog on wildlife, activities, and many useful information about Koh Yao Noi
- Ko Yao travel guide from Wikivoyage
- amphoe.com (Thai)
- Koh Yao