Ampress Works Halt railway station
|Ampress Works Halt|
The former station in 2006
|Original company||Southern Region of British Railways|
|1 October 1956||Station opened as Ampress Works Halt|
|By September 1970||Station renamed Ampress|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Ampress Works Halt was a halt station on the Lymington Branch Line which, between 1956 and 1989, served the Wellworthy engineering works near Lymington in Hampshire, England. Sited near the bridge over the A337 Lymington to Brockenhurst road, the station closed when the engineering works ceased operation. The station never appeared in any public timetable.
Opened by the Southern Region of British Railways in 1956, the station was served by Network SouthEast from the introduction of sectorisation until its closure. It was situated approximately 1-mile (1.6 km) from Lymington Town station near a bridge over the A337, and it was primarily intended for workers at the nearby Wellworthy factory. Constructed of concrete with chain-link fencing, it never appeared in any timetables and its demise came with the closure of the Wellworthy factory in 1989.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Shirley Holms Halt||Lymington Branch Line||Lymington Town|
The site today
Trains on the electrified Lymington branch line still pass the site. However as of June 2006 the new Lymington Hospital is being built on part of the old Wellworthy site, and the town of Lymington has also grown northwards to surround the location. The idea of reopening the halt, which still physically exists, has been discussed.
- Croughton, G.; Kidner, R.W.; Young, A. (1982). Private and Untimetabled Railway Stations. Trowbridge, Wilts: Oakwood Press. p. 124. ISBN 0-85361-281-1.
- Kidner, R. W. (1985). Southern Railway Halts. Survey and Gazetteer. Headington, Oxford: The Oakwood Press. p. 39. ISBN 0-85361-321-4.
- PDF (101 KiB)
- RailUK Forums, 13 August 2006.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Station on navigable O.S. map. Station site is south of main road near Ampress Farm
|This article about a railway station in South West England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|