|Member of Parliament of Egypt|
23 January 2012
|Born||26 October 1967
|Political party||Freedom Egypt Party|
|Occupation||Professor of political science|
Hamzawy received his bachelor's degree from Cairo University, Egypt. After that revived his master's degree from the University of Amsterdam, and another from the Institute of Social Studies, The Hague. In 2002, he received his Ph.D from the Free University of Berlin.
Dr. Amr Hamzawy used to work in the Middle East as a research director at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Beirut. He played an important role in the 2011 Egyptian revolution and he was the spokesman of the "Board of Wise Men" set up during the revolution to offer negotiations and possible solutions to the protesters and the government. After the installation of Ahmed Shafik as Prime Minister, Hamzawy was offered the position of Minister of Youth. He declined the post. He has since become involved in the project for the establishment of a liberal party in Egypt. Amr Hamzawy is a founding member of Freedom Egypt Party.
In 2012, Hamzawy was elected member of the Egyptian Parliament (constituency Heliopolis, Badr City, Shorouk, Hikestep).
In 2013, he supported the campaign of the Tamarod movement for early presidential elections in Egypt. However, in the aftermath of the military coup that followed, he spoke out against the shutdown of Islamist satellite networks and the detention of President Morsi and other Islamist leaders, and objected in a newspaper column to “the rhetoric of gloating, hatred, retribution and revenge against the Muslim Brotherhood.”
- Civil Society in the Middle East (Book, Jan 31, 2003).
- Human Rights in the Arab World: Independent Voices, coedited with Anthony Chase, in 2006 Zeitgenössisches Arabisches Denken: Kontinuität und Wandel, (Verlag des Deutschen Orient-Instituts, 2005).
- Arab spring fever (Essay) An article from: The National Interest with Nathan J. Brown (Oct 31, 2007).
- Human Rights in the Arab World: Independent Voices, coedited with Anthony Chase (Book, University of Pennsylvania, Feb 15, 2008)
- Party for Justice and Development in Morocco: Participation and Its Discontents, (Carnegie Paper, 2008).
- Islamists in Politics: The Dynamics of Participation (Carnegie Paper, 2008).
- The Draft Party Platform of the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood: Foray Into Political Integration or Retreat Into Old Positions?, with Nathan Brown (Carnegie Paper, 2008).
- Between Government and Opposition: The Case of the Yemeni Congregation for Reform, (Carnegie Paper, 2009).
- Getting to Pluralism: Political Actors in the Arab World (Book, co-written with Marina Ottaway, Sep 2009).
- Between Religion and Politics (Book, co-written with Nathan Brown, Jul 28, 2010).
- The Arab Future–Contemporary Debates on Democracy, Political Islam, and Resistance (Book, 2010)
- Ibrahim, Ekram (16 February 2012), "Love smiles on Egyptian parliamentarian", Ahram Online, retrieved 17 February 2012
- Dr. Amr Hamzawy is a Member of the National Council for Human Rights since April 2011.لجنة الحكماء: أبو المجد مقررا عاما وعمرو حمزاوي متحدثا رسميا
- Amr Hamzawy refuses the position of Minister of Youth - Al Wafd
- "June 30: Tamarod and Its Opponents". Middle East Institute. 26 June 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- "Egyptian Liberals Embrace the Military, Brooking No Dissent". New York Times. 15 July 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2013.