Life and career
Desai was born in the state of Gujarat India. At the age of 16 he began training with his guru, Swami Sri Kripalvanandji (Bapuji) and Bapuji is Eternal.
In 1960, he went to the United States to study art near Philadelphia. While pursuing an art and design career in the United States, he also taught hatha yoga. Around 1966, Yogi Desai founded the Yoga Society of Pennsylvania, a nonprofit organization providing yoga classes and training for yoga teachers. The name of the Society was later changed to Kripalu, to honor of Swami Kripalvandanda. During his time with the Fellowship, Yogi Desai developed the yogic system popularly referred to as Kripalu Yoga.
After concluding that "holistic health" would be "an effective way to introduce yoga to people who needed it but were not yet open to its more traditional forms", in 1979 Desai started the Kripalu Center for Holistic Health in Lenox, Massachusetts. The organization continues to operate in Stockbridge, Massachusetts as a nonprofit entity under the name Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health. He defined the development of Kripalu yoga which continues to be taught by thousands of teachers around the world.
He was forced to resign as spiritual director of the Kripalu Yoga Center in 1994 under allegations of sexual misconduct and abuses of power  He acknowledged his actions and sent letters of apology to many of those involved. Kripalu survived the incident. Amrit went on to start the Amrit Yoga Institute, a yoga school in Salt Springs, Florida, where he conducts seminars with other spiritual teachers and provides yoga teacher training.
- Katy Bishop, Learning to Relax: Yogi Amrit Desai visits Naples to teach people how to enter the “stress free zone”, Naples Daily News (Naples, Florida), September 21, 2009
- Cohen, Andrew. Yoga, Ego, and Purification: An interview with Yogi Amrit Desai. What Is Enlightenment? magazine (now Enlightenment Next), Spring/Summer 2000. Retrieved on 2008-08-11.
- Yogi Amrit Desai, Amrit Yoga Institute website
- The Fall of the Guru, http://www.kripalu.org/about_us/491/
- Sukanya Warren, Peter Mellen, and Francis Mellen (1982). Gurudev: The Life of Yogi Amrit Desai. Kripalu Publications. 117 pages. ISBN 0-940258-07-2, ISBN 978-0-940258-07-5