Amrita Hunjan (born 25 June 1984) is a British-Indian model and singer. She is perhaps best known for being a singer in the R'n'B/pop band Rouge. Amrita is also known in the British Asian community for being the winner of Miss India UK 2004 and Miss India Worldwide 2005. She was ranked as the 20th most sexy Asian woman in the world by Eastern Eye in 2007.
Miss India and Rouge
Amrita won Miss India UK 2004. A rendition of Maria McKee's 'Show Me Heaven' saw her singing voice being compared to the likes of Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston. She then won the "Miss India Worldwide" competition held in New Delhi, India in January 2005.
With friend Laura Ismail and fellow band member Legha Yousuf, they formed the band Rouge in 2005. Over the next year, they released they appeared on the single by "Zeus feat. Rouge" Don't Be Shy and the subsequent self-titled debut album. Hunjan has performed in New York, Dubai, and Holland.
In 2008 Amrita was reported to be focusing on her studies, with the next Rouge album set to be produced by Timbaland in Miami. She was reportedly writing and recording with Rouge, and they were said to be "in no rush to release it until they get it right". A behind-the-scenes video of the group, including new member Nicola (who replaced Legha), could be found on the Desi Hits website in June 2009.
- "Bips sexiest Asian woman in the world in 2007. - PTI - The Press Trust of India Ltd. | HighBeam Research - FREE trial". Highbeam.com. 2007-11-16. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- "Birmingham - Your Community - Being Miss India Worldwide". BBC. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- "NRI News -Amrita Hunjan, Miss India Worldwide 2005". Nriinternet.com. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- "Style. Miss India UK 2004 - A New Star Emerges". Redhotcurry.com. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- "Kiss It or Diss It? - on". Desihits.com. 2008-01-02. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- "Update On UK Girl Group Rouge - on". Desihits.com. 2008-12-29. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- "Video of Rouge Back to Work - on". Desihits.com. 2009-06-08. Retrieved 2011-03-28.