17 June 1981
|Education||Sophia College to pursue a degree in Psychology|
|Relatives||Preetika Rao (Sister)|
Amrita made her acting debut with Ab Ke Baras (2002). She was then noticed in romance Ishq Vishk (2003) which was followed by commercial successes like Masti and Main Hoon Na (both 2004). Her biggest commercial success was the blockbuster romance Vivah (2006). Her other successful films include comedies Welcome to Sajjanpur (2008) and Jolly LLB (2013).
- 1 Personal life
- 2 Career
- 3 Awards and nominations
- 4 Filmography
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Amrita belongs to Konkani family originally from Karnataka, but raised in Mumbai, India. Her father owns an advertising agency in Mumbai. She studied in Sophia College to pursue a degree in Psychology. Her younger sister, Preetika Rao, is a model and well-known film journalist.
While studying in Sophia College, Amrita auditioned for an advertisement for Fairever Face Cream. She filmed many commercials and did numerous photo shoots. Her appearance in Cadbury’s Perk Karwa Chaut ad and the Bru Coffee advertisement helped her receive offers from film directors in Bollywood. She also appeared in numerous music videos by artists such as Alisha Chinoy.
Even after becoming a well-known actress in Bollywood, she continues do model and walk ramps for designers, as a celebrity guest.
Amrita made her acting debut in Ab Ke Baras (2002) alongside Arya Babbar. She went on to star with Shahid Kapoor in his debut film, Ishq Vishk (2003) and became an overnight star after the success that film for her portrayal of Payal. She followed this up in 2004 with Masti, Main Hoon Na with Shahrukh Khan and Zayed Khan, and Deewaar. The year 2005 saw her performing as Priya in Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi! and Madhvi in Shikhar. In 2006, she starred in Pyare Mohan alongside Vivek Oberoi, and Sooraj R. Barjatya's blockbuster Vivah opposite Shahid Kapoor.
Her first role in 2007 was a special appearance for the song "Heyy Babyy" in the eponymous film, Heyy Babyy. She then made her debut in the Telugu film industry with Athidhi opposite Mahesh Babu. Amrita's movies in 2008 include My Name Is Anthony Gonsalves with Nikhil Dwivedi and Welcome to Sajjanpur with Shreyas Talpade. The following year, she portrayed Nandini in Victory and Mansi in Shortkut opposite Akshay Khanna.
Amrita was signed for ABCL Corp's The Legend of Kunal and for a Tip's Film with Neil Nitin Mukesh to be directed by Ken Ghosh, but both the movies did not take-off and her only release in 2011 was Rajshree Production's Love U...Mr. Kalakaar!, produced by Sooraj Barjatia in which she played Ritu, the main role, alongside Tusshar Kapoor. She acted in Hook Yaa Crook, which is awaiting release. She kick started 2013 with Fox Star's Hit Film Jolly LLB starring Arshad Warsi and Boman Irani. Amrita Rao is currently working on two major big-budget films scheduled to be released in 2013: Anil Sharma's Singh Sahab the Great opposite Sunny Deol, and Prakash Jha's Satyagraha.
Awards and nominations
- 2004: Filmfare Best Female Debut Award for Ishq Vishk
- 2005: Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award for Main Hoon Na
Star Screen Awards
- 2003: Star Screen Award Most Promising Newcomer - Female for Ab Ke Baras
- 2004: Star Screen Award Most Promising Newcomer - Female for Ishq Vishk
- 2007: Star Screen Award Best Actress for Vivah
- 2007: Star Screen Award Jodi No. 1 along with Shahid Kapoor for Vivah
Zee Cine Awards
International Indian Film Academy Awards
- 2004: IIFA Awards, Best Female Debut for Ishq Vishk
- 2004: Stardust Superstar of Tomorrow - Female for Ishq Vishk
- 2009: Stardust Searchlight Best Actress Award for Welcome to Sajjanpur
Other awards won
- 2004: Sansui Awards – Best Debut – Female for Ishq Vishk
- 2007: GR8 Women Awards – Young Achiever
- 2007: Anandalok Puroshkar Awards – Most Promising New Talent for Vivah
- 2007: Sports World Awards – Jodi of the Year along with Shahid Kapoor for Vivah
- 2007: Dada Saheb Academy Awards
- 2012: Kalakaar award for Best Actress Category (Bollywood) for Love You Mr. Kalakaar in Kolkata
|2002||Ab Ke Baras||Anjali Thapar/Nandini|
|The Legend of Bhagat Singh||Mannewali|
|2003||Ishq Vishk||Payal Mehra||Nominated, Filmfare Best Female Debut Award|
|Main Hoon Na||Sanjana (Sanju) Bakshi||Nominated, Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award|
|2005||Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi!||Priya|
|2007||Heyy Babyy||Special appearance in song "Heyy Babyy"|
|2008||My Name is Anthony Gonsalves||Riya|
|Shaurya||Neerja Rathode||Special appearance|
|Welcome to Sajjanpur||Kamla||Winner, Stardust Best Actress Award|
|Short Kut: The Con is On||Mansi|
|Life Partner||Anjali Kumar||Special appearance|
|2010||Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai||Tara's sister||Special appearance|
|2011||Love U...Mr. Kalakaar!||Ritu|
|Singh Sahab the Great||Journalist|
- "Happy Birthday Amrita Rao! - Planet Bollywood Star Gaze". Planetbollywood.com. 17 June 1986. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "Amrita Rao spends a quiet birthday - Entertainment - DNA". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "Amrita Rao spends a quiet birthday | Bollywood News | Hindi Movies News | News". BollywoodHungama.com. 19 June 2007. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "My Roots". Web.archive.org. 4 March 2007. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "Top 5: 'Baabul' shaky; 'D2' and 'Vivah' big hits!". Vivah: Box Office. Archived from the original on 14 December 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-16.
- "Amrita Rao in Athithi". Archived from the original on 25 December 2006. Retrieved 26 December 2006.
- "Rajshree Productions". Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- Hiren Kotwani, TNN 1 Oct 2012, 12.00AM IST (1 October 2012). "Yukta’s B-Town networking – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Arshad calls Jolly LLB 'wonderful' experience". Hindustan Times. 2 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Rang De, Omkara sweep Screen nominations". Hero Honda Star Screen Awards Nomination List. Retrieved 24 December 2006.
- "Hero Honda Star Jodi No. 1". Hero Honda Star Jodi No.1 Nomination List. Archived from the original on 5 January 2007. Retrieved 24 December 2006.
- IndiaFM Article
- "Amrita Rao: JOLLY LLB is brilliant! – bollywood news". glamsham.com. 14 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- Hiren Kotwani (8 October 2012). "Amrita pairs with Sunny Deol in next". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- TNN 21 Feb 2013, 12.00AM IST (21 February 2013). "Amitabh Bachchanâ€™s second bahu awaits him in Bhopal". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
- "BH Exclusive: Amrita Rao Talks About 'Satyagraha' | Bollywood Videos". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2013-04-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amrita Rao.|