|• Total||144.77 km2 (55.90 sq mi)|
|Elevation||510 m (1,670 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2013)|
|• Density||15/km2 (39/sq mi)|
|Postal code||6473 Silenen
|Surrounded by||Disentis/Mustér (GR), Erstfeld, Gurtnellen, Linthal (GL), Schattdorf, Spiringen, Tujetsch (GR), Unterschächen|
Silenen municipality comprises the villages of Silenen (divided into three parts, Dörfli, Russ, Rusli), Amsteg, and Acherli, besides numerous smaller hamlets or dispersed settlements, including Schützen, Buechholz, Öfibach, Dägerlohn, Frentschenberg, Ried (Vorderried, Hinterried), Maderanerthal valley (St. Anton = Vorderbristen, Bristen = Hinterbristen, Cholplatz, Hälteli, Steinmatte, Schattigmatt etc.), Hofstetten, Silblen, and the Golzeren plateau (Egg, Hüseren, Seewen, etc.)
Silenen has an area, as of 2006[update], of 144.8 km2 (55.9 sq mi). Of this area, 12.8% is used for agricultural purposes (mostly alpine pastures), while 18.3% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.7% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (68.1%) is non-productive (mostly mountainous).
Silenen has a population (as of 31 December 2013) of 2,195. As of 2007[update], 11.7% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 4.5%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (98.1%), with Italian being second most common ( 0.2%) and Serbo-Croatian being third ( 0.2%). As of 2007[update] the gender distribution of the population was 55.3% male and 44.7% female.
Silenen has an unemployment rate of 1.22%. As of 2005[update], there were 141 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 60 businesses involved in this sector. 117 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 16 businesses in this sector. 241 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 50 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 18 August 2014
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 09-Sep-2009
- Canton Uri - Ground use statistics (German) accessed 8 September 2009
- W. Meyer et al., Die bösen Türnli: Archäologische Beiträge zur Burgenforschung in der Urschweiz, Schweizer Beiträge zur Kulturgeschichte und Archäologie des Mittelalters, vol. 11, Schweizerischer Burgenverein, Olten / Freiburg i.Br., 1984. W. Meyer (ed), Burgen der Schweiz, vol. 1, Zürich, 1981.
- Uri Population statistics (German) accessed 8 September 2009
- Uri in Numbers 2009/10 edition (German) accessed 8 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silenen.|