Amur Bridge Project
The Amur Bridge Project was an international Sino-Russian bridge construction project that was first proposed in 2007 by Valery Solomonovich Gurevich, the vice-chairman of the Jewish Autonomous Oblast. Projected start dates for the actual construction to begin have ranged from 2007 to 2010, with no officially projected construction start date currently available (as of 2013). The bridge would link Nizhneleninskoye (in Russian: Нижнеленинское) in the Jewish Autonomous Oblast with Tongjiang (in Chinese: 同江) in Heilongjiang Province. The 2,197-meter-long bridge, would require an estimated investment of nearly US$230 million Gurevich said. Gurevich said that the proposal to construct a bridge across the river was first suggested by the Russian side, in view of growing cargo transportation demands.
The main class of cargo going over the future bridge would be iron ore from Petropavlovsk plc's open-pit mine in Kimkan in Jewish Autonomous Oblast. The Petropavlovsk mining company would participate in financing the bridge.
As of May 2013 construction had not yet begun, but the transport ministries of the two countries had signed a general construction agreement.
During President Putin's visit to China in May 2014, another agreement about the construction of the same bridge was signed by the Russian and Chinese officials. This time, it was announced that the construction would start "in a few months", and would be completed by 2016. In September 2014 Russia and China have founded a joint company which will control the process of building the bridge.
- "China-Russia Trade to Top US$40b". China Daily. 2007-06-18. Retrieved 2008-08-14.
- ANDREW E. KRAMER (June 9, 2010), "China’s Hunger Fuels Exports in Remote Russia", The New York Times
- "UPDATE 2-Shares of Petropavlovsk's IRC slump in Hong Kong debut". Reuters. Oct 21, 2010.
- "Строительство первого железнодорожного моста соединяющего Китай и Россию начнется в 2009 году" (Construction of the first railway bridge connecting Russia and China will start in 2009) China.org.cn, 2008-11-27. (Russian)
- Мост через Амур между РФ и КНР начнут строить в ближайшие месяцы (Construction of the bridge across the Amur between the RF and the PRC will start within a few months), 2014-05-20
- "Russia and China establish company to build a bridge across Amur River" (Press release). TASS. 26 September 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-02.