Amy J. Berg
|Amy J. Berg|
October 13, 1970 |
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Occupation||Film director, producer, screenwriter|
Amy J. Berg (born October 13, 1970) is an American film maker best known for her Academy Award-nominated documentary Deliver Us from Evil (2006). Deliver Us from Evil is about sex abuse cases in the Roman Catholic Church, focusing on Oliver O'Grady, who abused many children in California between the late 1970s and early 1990s.
Life and career
Prior to Deliver Us From Evil, Berg produced documentary segments for CNN Investigations and the KCBS news program "30 Minutes of Special Assignment". Her work at KCBS earned her Emmy Awards in 2003 and 2004. Before that, Berg researched and developed stories for Silver Creek Entertainment. Many aired on Good Morning America, 20/20, and Extra. In addition, she has written numerous articles for the National Organization for Women, The Jewish Journal[disambiguation needed] and a number of monthly and weekly periodicals in America and France.
Berg has directed the 10-minute-long documentary film Polarized (2007) for Al Gore's Live Earth Pledge. She also produced Bhutto, a documentary feature that played at Sundance 2010. West of Memphis (2012), produced by Peter Jackson and Damien Echols, documents the story of the West Memphis Three, who were convicted as teenagers of the 1993 murder of three boys in West Memphis, Arkansas. The film has received critical acclaim and won numerous awards at film festivals, including the Sundance Film Festival, where the film premiered in January 2012, and the Toronto International Film Festival.
In 2014 Content Film boarded Berg's new documentary about Janis Joplin and was looking to introduce the film to buyers at Cannes. The film, called Janis: Little Girl Blue, follows Joplin during her performing years at Monterey Pop Festival in 1967, Woodstock Festival in 1969 and Festival Express in 1970, and it also includes interviews with family, friends and rock star contemporaries.
Prophet's Prey, a documentary directed by Berg which explores the life of Warren Jeffs, premiered at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival. Berg adapted the film from Sam Brower's book Prophet's Prey: My Seven-Year Investigation Into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints.
Berg is the founder of Disarming Films, a film and documentary production company.
- Deliver Us from Evil (2006)
- West of Memphis (2012)
- An Open Secret (2014)
- Every Secret Thing (2014)
- Prophet's Prey (2014)
- Guccione, Jean (May 11, 2005). "A Glimpse at the Mind of a Pedophile". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- Mann, Iris (November 21, 2012). "Holiday films that provoke, (and Some Just for Fun)". The Jewish Journal. Retrieved 2013-07-21.
- Pfefferman, Naomi (October 12, 2006). "Movie on pedophile priest puts a face on evil". The Jewish Journal. Retrieved 2008-08-11.
- "IndieWire Interview: Amy Berg, director of "Deliver Us From Evil" ". IndieWire. October 12, 2006. Archived from the original on 2008-12-02.
- Snow, Shauna (17 April 1998). "Morning Report". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
KCBS-TV Channel 2 this weekend will launch two new half-hour Sunday newscasts [...] "30 Minutes of Special Assignment," showcasing stories from Channel 2's investigative unit [...]
- Writer and Director of "West of Memphis," Amy Berg, on B.Y.O.D. (Bring Your Own Doc) EP#5. Vimeo.
- "X-Men director's sex abuse accuser is working with Oscar-nominated filmmaker on bombshell expose of Hollywood's sordid underbelly". April 18, 2014. Retrieved April 19, 2014.
- Setoodeh, Ramin (April 18, 2014). "Bryan Singer Allegations Part of Upcoming Sex Abuse Documentary". Variety.
- DeFore, John (November 14, 2014). "'An Open Secret': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "CANNES: Content Boards Amy Berg’s Janis Joplin Documentary". May 1, 2014. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- Lewis, Hilary (November 27, 2014). "Ferguson Documentary About "Black Male Crisis" in the Works from Amy Berg". Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "About Us". Disarming Films – Creating Social Justice through Film. Retrieved 2014-07-22.