Amy Kim Ganter
|Amy Kim Ganter|
Amy Kim Ganter (right) with Ovi Nedelcu (left), and Kazu Kibuishi (center).
Binghamton, New York
|Pseudonym(s)||Amy Kim Kibuishi|
Ganter is a winner in the fourth Rising Stars of Manga competition, winning the third-place prize of $1,000 and a trophy for her story The Hopeless Romantic and the Hapless Girl. She later authored Tokyopop's Sorcerers & Secretaries, the story of Josh, a "bad boy," who falls for Nicole, a university student and part-time secretary who writes the story of the sorcerer Ellon in her dream journal.
Ganter is also a contributor to the second and fourth volumes of the Flight series of comics anthologies, telling Food from the Sea a "manga-derived tale of an epic clash between a fish seller and a clam seller" in volume 4. She has adapted the R.L. Stine Goosebumps novella, Deep Trouble, for the graphic novel Terror Trips. Terror Trips also has stories illustrated by Jill Thompson and Jamie Tolagson. She is also the creator of the defunct webcomic Reman Mythology.
Since 2007, she has left off manga and webcomic creation, describing herself as a "former cartoonist" on her new blog.
Ganter says that after out-growing superhero comics like Spawn and X-Men, she became influenced by the more realistic comics she discovered while on a childhood trip to Korea. She cites Japanese manga series Ranma 1/2 as an influence.
Ganter is married to comics artist and Flight editor Kazu Kibuishi; they reside in Alhambra, California. Ganter told the story of her "third first kiss" with her future husband for the book First Kiss (Then Tell).
- Democrat and Chronicle staff. (April 9, 2006). "Especially for teens". Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. Pg. 7C
- Paniccia, Mark (Editor) (December 2004). Rising Stars of Manga, Vol. 4, Los Angeles: Tokyopop. ISBN 1-59182-538-5. Pg. 52
- Brady, Matt (June 7, 2005). "RISING STARS IV: AMY KIM GANTER ON SORCERERS & SECRETARIES". Retrieved on 2006-11-23
- Gumbrecht, Jamie (April 14, 2006). "Graphic novelists drawing a crowd". Lexington Herald-Leader. Health & Family section, Pg. 5
- Staff. (February 20, 2006). "Sorcerers and Secretaries". Publishers Weekly. Pg. 142
- Flagg, Gordon (May 15, 2007). "Flight, v. 4". Booklist. Pg. 28
- Abbott, Alana (May 1, 2007). "Terror Trips". School Library Journal. Pg. 168
- Jiayi, Patricia (May 26, 2006). "School hit by manga mania". Pasadena Star-News
- Kibuishi, Amy Kim. "Felaxx's Gallery: Amy Kim Kibuishi's Little Blog," http://felaxx.blogspot.com/
- Jiayi, Patricia (July 2, 2006). "Creativity takes 'Flight'". Pasadena Star-News
- Doyle, Miranda (February 1, 2007). "First Kiss (Then Tell): A Collection of True Lip-Locked Moments". School Library Journal. Pg. 133