An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars
|An American Girl:
McKenna Shoots for the Stars
|Directed by||Vince Marcello|
|Screenplay by||Jessica O'Toole
by Mary Casanova
|Music by||Timothy Michael Wynn|
|Running time||91 minutes|
An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars is the sixth film in the American Girl series, starring actress Jade Pettyjohn, Ysa Penarejo, Cathy Rigby, Nia Vardalos, and Ian Ziering. This film is based on the McKenna books in the American Girl series written by Mary Casanova. The film is also the second in the series to feature a Girl of the Year character, the first being Chrissa Stands Strong.
The film revolves around the life of American Girl character McKenna Brooks, as she struggles to balance her time at school and in her career as a gymnast. The screenplay was written by Jessica O'Toole and Amy Rardin. The movie was directed by Vince Marcello.
A free screening of the film was held at the Tysons Corner Marriott on July 21, 2012, as part of a promotional package by American Girl and Marriott.
The beginning starts in the Shooting Star gym. McKenna is practicing her backhand spring on the beam. Coach Isabelle tells McKenna that the move she was doing is too advanced. McKenna tries to protest, but loses. Then the coach tells her to just stretch. As McKenna is feeling depressed, her best friend Toulane comes over and tells McKenna she was great. She then gets on about how the two of them will get into the 2016 Summer Olympics. Toulane explains that she will be on the podium with her gold, and McKenna next to her with her silver. McKenna tells her that she will get a gold instead. The two get back to gymnastics until McKenna's grandma comes into the gym with McKenna's twin younger sisters, Maisey and Mara. The four of them leave the gym.
At home, McKenna, Maisey, Mara, Mr. Brooks, and Mrs. Brooks are at the table and talking about Mrs. Brooks' business, and how her guitarist did not show up on his first day. Mr. Brooks tries to convince Mrs. Brooks to let his old rock band play at her coffee shop. Mr. Brooks starts singing one of his songs. Then, Mrs. Brooks tells Maisey and Mara to go to their room while she and Mr. Brooks talk to McKenna. When the twins leave, McKenna thinks it is about her accidentally feeding the class pet. Mr. and Mrs. Brooks explain that Mr. Wu e-mailed them and said that McKenna's grades were slipping and he recommended that she get a tutor from the middle school. McKenna refuses and promises to bring her grades up as there's going to be a science quiz the next day. She starts to read the sciece book, but doesn't understand it and quits.
At school McKenna is desperate to improve her grades and ends up cheating off of Sierra's paper. McKenna gets caught by Mr. Wu. As soon as her parents find out McKenna's grounded and they tell her that unless she gets a tutor she'll have to quit gymnastics. McKenna reluctantly meets Josie at the school's library. When McKenna sees Sierra, she tries to hide. Josie doesn't understand this. After Sierra leaves, Josie tries to tutor McKenna. McKenna gets angry when she finds out Josie wants her to read "baby books". She storms out of the library and asks Mr. Wu to find her a new tutor. She tries three different tutors who won't work for her. McKenna is soon forced to go back with Josie.
At the presentation run, the Shooting Stars gymnastics team perform for the parents. When McKenna goes up, she does everything perfectly. She comes to the very end of her practice, and decides to disobey the coach by doing the backhand spring. McKenna falls and breaks her ankle. When McKenna comes home, she is very angry, as her parents say that the accident will allow her to focus on school now instead of gymnastics. McKenna yells at them saying they must be happy she broke her ankle, and runs into her room. She tears down most of her posters about the Olympics, and cries. The next day, McKenna comes to school, and Mr. Wu tells McKenna that he's sorry about her accident. McKenna keeps meeting with Josie and is soon found out by Toulane. Toulane is very upset that McKenna lied to her. McKenna stills goes on a camping trip with Josie. Afterwards Josie invites McKenna to go to a horse riding place for kids with disabilities, as Josie is going to ride a horse. McKenna first agrees, but then remembers she gets her cast off the same day. Josie is very upset that McKenna cannot go. Soon, McKenna realizes that she should go, and goes. There, she is surprised to see Toulane. Toulane says that McKenna showed Josie their secret handshake on their camping trip. Toulane and McKenna have a talk and make up with McKenna's apology. In the end, McKenna's grades improve. Toulane has a talk with her mother and is allowed to do rhythmic gymnastics, and Sierra takes Toulane's place on the team with McKenna. McKenna makes the regional competitive team and did well during her presentation at school.
- Jade Pettyjohn: McKenna Brooks (Kathryn White was Jade's gymnast double)
- Ysa Penarejo: Toulane Thomas
- Kally Berard: Sierra Kuchinko
- Kerris Dorsey: Josie Myers
- Ian Ziering: Mr. Brooks
- Nia Vardalos: Mrs. Brooks
- Talia Pura: Grandma
- Will Woytowich: Cowboy Bob
- Paula Rivera: Mrs. Thomas
- Aisha Alfa: Gymnastics Competition Announcer
- Abbey Thickson: Impatient Girl Tutor
- Emma Leipsic: Megan Murphy
- Christina Ricci: Riding Volunteer
- Rosie: Snowflake the Horse
- Cathy Rigby: Coach Isabelle Manning
- Kadence Kendall Roach: Maisey Brooks
- Paiten Raine Roach: Mara Brooks
- George Chiang: Mr. Wu
Home video release
Currently it is only available from American Girl and Wal-Mart.
An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars was Filmed in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
- "Apple - iTunes - Download An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars". Apple Inc. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "Jade Pettyjohn: A Real Life American Girl". About.com. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Exclusive: Ysa Penarejo Talks "McKenna Shoots for the Stars" and New Music". Clevver TV. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Young gymnast conquers difficulties in 'McKenna Shoots for the Stars'". Detroit News. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Nia Vardalos Talks An American Girl: McKenna Shoots for the Stars Blu-ray - MovieWeb.com". MovieWeb. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Ian Ziering joins Nia Vardalos and Jade Pettyjohn in untitled American Girl Project - IMDb.com". IMDb. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- "American Girl Fans Can See the New McKenna Movie, Stay the Night atTysons Corner Marriott - MarketWatch". MarketWatch. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- Stockly, Ed. "Saturday's TV Highlights: 'The Firm' on NBC - latimes.com". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 3 August 2012.