An Ocean Between Us
|An Ocean Between Us|
|Studio album by As I Lay Dying|
|Released||August 21, 2007|
|Producer||Adam Dutkiewicz, Tim Lambesis|
|As I Lay Dying chronology|
|Singles from An Ocean Between Us|
An Ocean Between Us is the fourth album by American metalcore band As I Lay Dying. The album was released on August 21, 2007 through Metal Blade Records. Upon its release, it debuted at number 8 on the Billboard 200, with sales close to 39,500. The album features singles "Nothing Left", "The Sound of Truth", "Within Destruction" and "I Never Wanted", with music videos produced for all four.
Guitarist Nick Hipa had the following to say regarding the direction of the album.
"Collectively we've all pushed ourselves, and we're all doing things that we weren't even capable of doing on the last record. And on top of just experimenting and trying different things, I think we just wrote some pretty sick jams, so I'm happy with it. That's all I can say. For kids who like our band and think they know what to expect from us, it might throw them off a little bit . . . I encourage anybody who likes our band to approach this album with an open mind."
"(We) spent some time listening to our last album [2005's Shadows Are Security] and, just from being on tour, we became a little bit jaded by how the genre — as a whole — has sort of copied itself over and over again.
We decided we wanted to be more diverse, even down to the point where we sort of felt like we should really focus on writing songs in different categories, and then pick the best songs from those categories and use them for the record."
|3.||"An Ocean Between Us"||4:13|
|7.||"I Never Wanted"||4:44|
|8.||"Bury Us All"||2:23|
|9.||"The Sound of Truth"||4:20|
|11.||"Wrath Upon Ourselves"||4:01|
|12.||"This Is Who We Are"||4:54|
The record was released on August 21, 2007 to generally positive acclaim, peaking at No. 8 on the Billboard 200.
|Exclaim!||Mildly positive link|
|HM Magazine||"best metal album this year"|
- As I Lay Dying
- Tim Lambesis – lead vocals, clean vocals on "Nothing Left" and "This Is Who We Are"
- Nick Hipa – lead guitar
- Phil Sgrosso – rhythm guitar, piano
- Josh Gilbert – bass guitar, clean vocals
- Jordan Mancino – drums, percussion
- Additional Musicians
- Chad Ackerman - Backing vocals (Tracks 3 and 8)
- Tommy Garcia - Backing vocals (Track 5)
- Duane Reed - Backing vocals (Track 5)
- Produced by Adam Dutkiewicz and Tim Lambesis
- Assisted by Daniel Castleman
- Mixed by Colin Richardson, except Departed mixed by Daniel Castleman
- Mix Engineer: Matt Hyde
- Guitar re-amping by Andy Sneap
- Mastered by Ten Jensen at Sterling Sound
- Artwork and layout by Jacob Bannon
|2007||Japanese Albums Chart||154|
- Blabbermouth.net, "AS I LAY DYING, SIXX A.M., ADEMA First-Week Sales Revealed", Posted August 29, 2007.
- Blabbermouth.net, "AS I LAY DYING Guitarist Discusses Bassist's Departure", Posted May 5, 2007.
- Sputnikmusic, "As I Lay Dying interview", Retrieved August 24, 2007.
- About.com review
- An Ocean Between Us at AllMusic
- Cross Rhythms review
- Pop Matters review
- Metal Underground review
- Tuomas Valtanen (2007-09-27). "Levyarviot: As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us". Imperiumi. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- "アズ・アイ・レイ・ダイイングのCDアルバムランキング、アズ・アイ・レイ・ダイイングのプロフィールならオリコン芸能人事典-ORICON STYLE". Oricon.co.jp. Retrieved 2013-04-23.