|Alternative spelling||Anaís, Anais, Annais, Anaïse|
|Variant form(s)||Anaise, Anaiss, Anays, Anayss, Naïs|
|Look up Anaïs in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Anaïs, Anaís or Anais, (ah-nah-iss), is a female given name derived from the Persian goddess of love, Anahita. Other varaints of the Old Persian Anāhitā or Anāhīd are the New Persian Nāhīd, the Armenian Anahit and the Greek Anaitis or Anaïtis. The common name Ana or Anne is an abbreviation of the Greek variant Anaitis.  Others have suggested that Anaïs is derived from Provençal and Catalan name Anne. But this suggestion is convincing since Anne itself seems to be an abbreviation of a longer name (e.g. the more ancient Anaïs) not the other way around.
Since about 1985, the name Anaïs is especially popular in France. There is no account of the name in France before the middle of the nineteenth century, when it is traceable in Provence and Catalonia. The diminutive form Naïs was also used in a novel by Marcel Pagnol.
Anaïs, Anaís or Anais can refer to:
- Anaïs (singer), real name Régine Hantelle, a French female singer, also part of duo Alice et Anaïs and the duo Anaïs et Didier Barbelivien
- Anaís (born 1984), Dominican Latin pop singer, winner of the second season of Objetivo Fama
- Anaïs Croze (born 1976), French singer, known as just Anaïs
- Anaïs Lameche (born 1987), Swedish singer
- Anaïs Mitchell, American singer-songwriter
- Anaïs Perrière-Pilte (1836 – 1878), French composer
- Actors / directors
- Anaïs Aubert, known as Mademoiselle Anaïs (1802–1871), French actress
- Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette (born 1979), Canadian actress and director
- Anaïs Demoustier (born 1987), French actress
- Anais Granofsky (born 1973), Canadian actress and director
- Anais Catala, Iraqi-French model
- Anais Mali, French model
- Anaïs Veerapatren (born 1986), Miss Mauritius 2008
- Anais Pouliot, French-Canadian model
- Anaïs Nin (1903–1977), Cuban-French writer
- Anaïs Bescond (born 1987), French biathlete
- Anaïs Caradeux (born 1990), French acrobatic skier
- Anaïs Morand (born 1993), Swiss pair skater
- Anaïs Laurendon (born 1985), French professional tennis player
- Anaïs Ventard (born 1996), French figure skater
- Fictional characters
- Madame Anaïs, brothel-keeper in the novel (1928) and film (1967) Belle de Jour
- Anaïs (comics), in Marvel Comics
- Anaïs, portrayed by Anaïs Reboux in the film À ma sœur! (2001)
- Anais Watterson, in the animated series "The Amazing World of Gumball"
- Anais, the Latin American dub name for Fuu of Magic Knight Rayearth
- Anaïs Anaïs, a perfume by the brand Cacharel that was launched in 1978
- Anais, Charente, in the Charente department of France
- Anais, Charente-Maritime, in the Charente-Maritime department of France
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.