||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2010)|
|Empress consort of Bulgaria|
|Spouse||Michael Shishman of Bulgaria|
|Issue||Ivan Stephen of Bulgaria
|Father||Stefan Uroš II Milutin of Serbia|
|Mother||Ana Terter, Queen of Serbia|
Ana-Neda (Bulgarian and Serbian Cyrillic: Ана-Неда[a]; fl. 1323-1324) was the Empress consort of Bulgaria briefly in 1323 - 1324 as the spouse of "Despot of Vidin" Michael Shishman who was elected as Emperor of Bulgaria in 1323. She was the daughter of Serbian King Stefan Uroš II Milutin and Princess Ana Terter, daughter of George I of Bulgaria. From the marriage with Michael, they had three sons, one of whom was Ivan Stephen of Bulgaria, the future brief Emperor of Bulgaria (1330–1331).
From the marriage with Michael they had three sons:
- Ivan Stephen of Bulgaria, emperor of Bulgaria in 1330-1331
- Michael, despotes in Vidin for a brief period
- Shishman, pretender to the Bulgarian throne
In 1324, Michael Shishman divorced Anna Neda in order to marry Theodora of Byzantium. Anna Neda and her children were sent out of Turnovo into the countryside. In 1330, Michael Shishman died and was succeeded by his firstborn son Ivan Stephen of Bulgaria.
Name: Recent Bulgarian historians call her Ana-Neda (with a dash). It is likely that she was born Neda, and upon the marriage to Michael, becoming a queen, she received the titular name Ana. She has also been called Dominika (Доминика), because Neda comes from "недеља" (nedelja) in Serbian, which means "Sunday", i.e. "Dius Domini").
- Mandić 1981: "Именима Ана—Неда зову jе и новији бугарски историчари.52 Заиста jе Милутиновој кћери могло бити крштено име Неда, а кад се удала за Михаила, тамо jе, као владарка, добила титуларно име Ана."
- Fine, John Van Antwerp (1994), The Late Medieval Balkans: A Critical Survey from the Late Twelfth Century to the Ottoman Conquest, University of Michigan Press, ISBN 978-0-472-08260-5
- "SERBIA, Medieval Lands". Fmg.ac. Retrieved 2012-05-05.
Ana-NedaBorn: ? Died: ?
|Empress consort of Bulgaria