Ana E. Lita
Ana E. Lita (born in Costeşti, Argeş County, Romania) Ana Lita is Co-founder and Executive Director of the Global Bioethics Initiative (GBI), an international not-for-profit organization incorporated in the State of New York in 2011, and the former director of the Appignani Bioethics Center. She received a Ph.D. degree from Bowling Green State University specializing in Applied Ethics and Social Philosophy. She has an M.A. in Sociology from Central European University and a B.A. from the University of Bucharest. She held a tenure track position (2001-2004) as an assistant professor of Philosophy at Lincoln University, Missouri. She was a visiting scholar at the University of Pennsylvania’s Center for Bioethics from September 2009 to June 2010.
She was the beneficiary of a Soros Foundation Fellowship while studying at the Central European University and a National Association Fellowship for International Scholars as a graduate student at Bowling Green State University. In 1995 she was a visiting researcher at the European University Institute in Florence, Department of Law. She served as a junior researcher at the Institute for Educational Sciences in Bucharest, Romania from 1991-1995, where she was responsible for a joint research project on Adult Education with UNESCO and the Institute for Education in Hamburg, Germany.
The author of numerous conference presentations, in addition to scholarly and popular publications, Lita is an active voice in public and academic discourse. Her teaching and writings have focused on ethics in health care, medicine and bioethics. She is fluent in English, Romanian, French, and Italian. Ana Lita sits on the Ethics Committee of the International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering as well as the Genetics Policy Institute.
- "Global Bioethics Initiative" website
- "Ana Lita, Director of IHEU-Appignani Center | International Humanist and Ethical Union". Iheu.org. 2004-11-17. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- University of Pennsylvania, Center for Bioethics
- International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering - Bioethics Committee
- Genetics Policy Institute - Legal Advisory
- Global Bioethics Initiative - Ana Lita
- "Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Human Rights Violation, Danger to Girls, Communicates Women's Inferiority" <http://atheism.about.com/od/bioethics/a/FGM.htm>
- "New vaccines preventing cervical cancer and new controversies" pp. 15–17, UN Women's Newsletter from the Focal Point of Women, the UN Office of the Special Advisor on Gender Issues and Advancement of Women, (OSAGI) <http://www.un.org/womenwatch/osagi/network/vol.10_no2_2006.pdf>
- Video: "Intersecting Human Rights Crises: Organ Trafficking and Transplantation" <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ocM0g4B64>
- Video: "Perils and Promises of Egg Markets," at the UNIS-UN Conference <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6QV6Tx8Hek&feature=player_embedded>
- "The Moral Regard for Others," From The Philosopher, Volume LXXXXII No. 1, <http://www.the-philosopher.co.uk/moralregard.htm>
- “Seeing” Human Goodness: Iris Murdoch On Moral Virtue," ISSN 1393-614X Minerva - An Internet Journal of Philosophy 7 (2003): pp. 143–172 <http://www.mic.ul.ie/stephen/vol7/murdoch.pdf>
- "Human Trafficking, Exploitation and Abuse of Sex Workers: Suggested Remedies," Overview Presented by Ana Lita at the 55th Session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women New York, NY <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqJQCpnMOVE>