Anadenanthera colubrina var. cebil
|Anadenanthera colubrina var. cebil|
|Variety:||A. c. var. cebil|
|Anadenanthera colubrina var. cebil
Anadenanthera colubrina var. cebil (Griseb.) Altschul is a mimosa-like timber tree native to Caatinga and Cerrado vegetation in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Peru. It has also been introduced to Mauritius. It grows up to 25 m tall, with a trunk diameter of 60–90 cm. The tree's mimosa-like leaves range in length from about 7–20 cm. The flowers are cream-colored and arrive in the spring. The seed pods are fairly straight and contain about 8 to 15 seeds each. The seeds are flat, average each about 1.5 cm in diameter and have an average mass of about 0.125 g each. The tree's wood has a density of about 0.840 kg/dm³.
Bufotenin and dimethyltryptamine have been isolated from the seeds and seed pods, 5-MeO-DMT from the bark of the stems. The seeds were found to contain 12.4% bufotenine, 0.06% 5-MeO-DMT and 0.06% DMT.
A. colubrina var. cebil is very much sought for its wood and bark (for medicinal purposes) and so it is being destructively cut down by industry. Since the tree is beautiful and useful, calls are being made to plant trees near communities that use them, so that sustainable harvesting of the tree can be accomplished.
The seeds can be placed between a folded damp paper towel in a sealable plastic sandwich bag for a few days until the seeds sprout. They can then be planted 1 cm deep in well-drained containers. Once watered, is important to let the growing medium dry out well, before watering again.
- Anadenanthera colubrina
- List of honey plants
- List of plants of Caatinga vegetation of Brazil
- List of plants of Cerrado vegetation of Brazil
- "Acacia cebil - ILDIS LegumeWeb". www.ildis.org. Retrieved 2008-05-17.
- "Anadenanthera colubrina var. cebil". www2.fpl.fs.fed.us. Retrieved 2008-05-17.
- Herbotechnica (Spanish)
- Anadenanthera: Visionary Plant of Ancient South America By Constantino Manuel Torres, David B. Repke, p. 98
- Google Books Anadenanthera: Visionary Plant of Ancient South America By Constantino Manuel Torres, David B. Repke p. 96
- Acta Botanica Brasilica Print ISSN 0102-3306 Acta Bot. Bras. vol.19 no.1 São Paulo Jan./Mar. 2005 Use of plant resources in a seasonal dry forest (Northeastern Brazil)
- Growing Anadenanthera colubrina var. cebil Plot55
- "LILA » Anadenanthera". www.lila.info. Archived from the original on 2008-04-18. Retrieved 2008-05-17.
- Anandenanthera macrocarpa Click on Image (www.fieldmuseum.org)
- Anadenanthera colubrina var. cebil (ILDIS)
- (Portuguese) Anadenanthera macrocarpa
- Anadenanthera colubrina var. cebil Photos -- Google Images
- Anadenanthera colubrina var. cebil Photo
- Current Specimen List for Anadenanthera colubrina var. cebil