Anadi Sankar Gupta
|A. S. Gupta|
1 November 1932|
Barisal, British India
|Died||14 June 2012
|Alma mater||Presidency University, Kolkata
University of Calcutta
|Doctoral advisor||G Bandyopadhyay|
|Notable awards||S. S. Bhatnagar Prize (1972)|
Anadi Sankar Gupta (Nov 01, 1932, Barisal - June 14, 2012, Kolkata) was an Indian mathematician. Till his death, he was an INSA Senior Scientist and emeritus faculty with the Department of Mathematics, IIT Kharagpur.
He was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for mathematical sciences in 1972 by the Government of India for his "significant contributions in the field of fluid dynamics and magnetohydrodynamics, notably on heat transfer in free convection flow in the presence of magnetic field," amongst other things.
Anadi Sankar Gupta was born to Pramode Chandra and Usharani Gupta in Goila of Barisal district in the then British India (present Bangladesh). He had his initial schooling at Domohani Kelejora High School in Asansol, West Bengal. Gupta completed his bachelors from Presidency College, Calcutta in 1952 and followed it up with a masters in applied mathematics from the University of Calcutta in 1954.
He joined the faculty of IIT Kharagpur in 1957 as an associate lecturer and rose through the ranks to become a professor and subsequently, an emeritus. He was President of the annual Congress of the Indian Mathematical Society in 1999. He also served on the editorial boards of various scientific journals. He retired in 1993, but continued to be active in research.
- Boundary layer theory
- Heat and mass transfer in fluid flows
- Hydrodynamic stability
- Stability of flows
- A. S. Gupta, L. N. Howard (1962). "On the hydrodynamic and hydromagnetic stability of swirling flows". J. Fluid Mech. 14: 463–476.
- Gupta, A. S. (1964). "On the capillary instability of a jet carrying an axial current with or without a longitudinal magnetic field". Proceedings of the Royal Society A 278: 214–227.
- Gupta, A. S. (1967). "Stability of a viscoelastic liquid film flowing down an inclined plane". J. Fluid Mech. 28: 17–28.
- A. S. Gupta, N. Annapurna (1979). "Exact analysis of unsteady MHD convective diffusion". Proceedings of the Royal Society A 367: 281–289.
- A. S. Gupta, B. S. Dandapat (1982). "Thermal instability in a porous medium with random vibrations". Acta Mechanica 43: 37–47.
- A. S. Gupta (2004). Calculus Of Variations with Applications. Prentice Hall. ISBN 978-8-120-31120-6.
Awards and honours
- Fellow of The National Academy of Sciences, India (1990).
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy (1980).
- FICCI Award, 1978.
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology, 1972.
- "Prof Anadi Shankar Gupta passes away". The Statesman (Kolkata). June 14, 2012. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- "List of Faculty and Staff". Dept. of Mathematics, IIT Kharagpur. 2004. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- "Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards – Mathematical Sciences (1958–1998)". (Citation). CSIR. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Bhatnagar Laureates (1958–91). New Delhi: CSIR. 1992. pp. 138–139.
- "Fellows – The National Academy of Sciences, India". NASI. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- "Life Fellow of IIT Kharagpur: Professor Anadi Sankar Gupta". Alumnet IIT Kharagpur. Retrieved March 21, 2012.