In the main type of anagram dictionary, the letters in words or phrases are rearranged in alphabetical order, and these transpositions are themselves then ordered alphabetically within word-length groups, so that any words consisting of this group of letters can be found. This arrangement is designed for use in solving word puzzles such as crosswords, or for playing games such as Scrabble. The first such anagram dictionary was the "Crossword Anagram Dictionary" by R.J. Edwards, published in 1978 by Barrie & Jenkins in the UK and Mayflower Books in the US.
In the other kind of anagram dictionary, words are categorized into equivalence classes that consist of words with the same number of each kind of letter. Thus words will only appear when other words can be made from the same letters.
Anagram dictionaries were formerly produced by hand, but can now be trivially generated from any machine-readable word list by computer, by sorting words in order of their sorted letter-strings.
- More Words A useful anagram dictionary, in addition to assisting with words with missing letters
- Anagrams Creator Freeware Anagrams creator program
- Word Anagrammer Powerful Anagram solver for word games
- Create words from letters anagram helper for word games
- Free Scrabble Dictionary anagram solver and dictionary
|This article about a dictionary is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|