|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007)|
Rock-cut Buddha Statue at Bojjannakonda near Anakapalle
|• Total||23.28 km2 (8.99 sq mi)|
|Elevation||25 m (82 ft)|
|• Density||3,700/km2 (9,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The Anakapalle town is famous for its jaggery market. Its market is ranked second in India in terms of jaggery imports/exports. Anakapalle is also a very busy and famous business center in this region. Many people from the rural areas around the town cites Anakapalle as their destination for their shopping and medical needs. 20% of Anakapalli people main business is finance
The City was originally under the rule of the Kalinga Empire (ancient Orissa), different dynasties ruled this region i.e. Chedi Kingdom of Kalinga (Orissa), Eastern Ganga dynasty of Orissa, Gajapati Kingdom of Orissa, Kakatiya, and Qutub Shahi empires. Around 1450, Appala Raju took over the rule of region under the Nawab of Arcot, with Anakapalle as his fortified headquarters. The saga of Anakapalle starts with a historian named "Tallapragada" place and found that Anakapalle. This was proved from the historical evidences found on Bojjana Konda. Satavahanas, Vishnukundina, Gajapathi's, Vijayanagara Samrats, Golkonda Samanta Rajulu ruled the area.
Its alias names are Aniankapalli, Anekaphalle, Vijaypuri, Veniapalii, Kanakapuri, Bellampatnam, and Anakapalli. It is located by the side of a holy Sarada River. These historic monuments are of great interest to tourists. During the Independence struggle of India, many prominent leaders like Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. B. R. Ambedkar visited Anakapalle. It is around 34 km in distance from Vishakapatnam.
One of the most significant Buddhist sites in Andhra Pradesh, Sankaram is located some 3.5 km away from Anakapalle and 41 km away from Visakhapatnam on the Sabbavaram by-pass road. The name Sankaram derives from the term Sangharama. Sankaram is famous for the whole lot of votive stupas, rock-cut caves, brick-built structural edifices, early historic pottery and Satavahana coins that date back to the 1st century AD. The main stupa here was initially carved out of rock and then covered with bricks. where you can see a number of images of the Buddha carved on the rock face of the caves. At Lingalametta, there are hundreds of rock cut monolithic stupas in rows, spread all over the hill. Among other Buddhist attractions here are relic casket, three chiatya halls, votive platforms, stupas and Vajrayana sculptures. The Vihara was functional for around a millennium and saw the development of the not only Theravada form of Buddhism but also Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism.
Later Anakapalle went to estate of Vavilavalasa Inuganty kings and ruled a long time
The residents of the City comprises with Hindu,Christian,and Muslims.
- Sri Adibethala Seetha Rama Devesthanam: this is a temple to the god Adibethaluduthe god of Adi Bethala is very powerful and satisfied to all the people who pray to him and saved them . Every Dasara is the biggest festival of Adibethaludu and Jammi Pooja was done here and Seetharamulu Swamy Varu. Dasara, Deepavali, Sriramanavami and Vinayaka Chaviti festivals are held in this temple by the youth of Dadi Narayana Rao Municipal Councillor and Shri Jagannadhaswamy trust board Chairman and Petakamsetty Siva Venkatarao and Brothers, Surisetty Nanaji and Brothers, Surisetty Ramanapparao and sons,and padala Srinivas and koribilli ganesh and Brothers kallapalli kasirao and son, Gajula Ramarao .
- Sri Sri Nookambika Temple: this temple is located in Gavarapalem and houses the goddess Nookambika. Appalaraju built this temple to Kakatambika, a family goddess; she would later be called Nookambika, or Nookalamma. On “Kottha Amavasya,” a day before Ugadi, thousands of people from throughout Andhra Pradesh come here for worship.
- Gowri Parameswara Temple: another important temple is Gouramma Gudi (the temple of Gowri), where every year in the last week of January people celebrate "Sambaram" a celebration which lasts for 10 days.
- Sri sitarama devasthanam: One of the famous temple in anakapalli. situated in Dibhaveedhi, Gavarapalem
- Sri Sri Om Sakti temple: This temple is originally from Melmaruvathur near Chenai in Tamil Nadu. Due to faith and believe upon this goddess Mr.Pentakota Shankar Babu Has established this temple in Anakapalle, with his own expense without collecting any donations. This temple is located at Raghuram layout behind sarvepalli Jr. college, Gavarapalem,Anakapalle.
- Sri Sathamathalli temple, Dasserigedda Street, Gavarapallem.
- Sathyanarayana Swami temple is situated on the top of a small hill at Kasimkota about 2 km from Anakapalli.
- Devipuram has a famous temple of Sri Rajarajeshwari Temple which is 12 km from Anakapalle. This temple has the distinction of being the world's only temple in the structure of the Sri Chakra.
- Ayyappa Temple (Besides Kanyakaparameswari Temple)
- Peda Ramaswami Temple
- Vinayaka temple (sarada nagar)
- China Ramaswami Temple
- Venkateswara Temple- (Demuni Gummam - Near Nookalamma Arch-1 way traffic down)
- Santoshimatha Temple
- Kanyakaparameswari Temple
- Kaasi Viswanatha Temple
- Bhogalingeswara Temple- (One of the oldest temple at KOTA VEEDHI)
- Jaganthswami Temple
- Venkateswara Swamy Temple (Gandhinagaram)
- Sambashiva Temple
- Shiridi Sai Baba Temple
- Ragavendraswamy Temple
- Anjaneya Swamy Temple
- Sattammathalli Temple
- Shridi sai baba temple at Park center
- Sri Nallamaramma thalli temple, Ramapuram colony.
- Sri Sita Rama Temple, Gandhinagar.(statue is similar to Bhadrachalam and it is a siva kesava temple).
Despite the majority being Hindu, there is a considerable Muslim and Christian population. There are some Mosques located on Majsid Street and Churches on Pudimadaka Road.
- Andhra Baptist Church, a CBCNC church built by 1st Municipal Chairman and Commissioner of Anakapalli and developed by CBM Missionaries
Anakapalli has a railway station on Howrah-Chennai main line.It is under Vijayawada division of South Central railway zone. APSRTC run the buses to all over state. Vizag city run the buses from maddilapalem,Dwaraka bus station,Gajuwaka etc.
The chief crop cultivated in this region is sugarcane and Anakapalle is well known for its jaggery industry. It is the largest source of jaggery in Southern India and the second largest in India. Velagapudi Steels also owns a steel mill near Anakapalle.
Anakapalli is also a centre of retailing, where brands like H&A have a presence in the market.
According to Imperial Gazetteer of India, Anakapalle had an area of 297 square miles (770 km2) containing 143 villages. The population in 1901 was 165,478, compared with 152,157 in 1891. The Tahsil is entirely Zamindari, being divided among Gode family and the Kasimkota, Vizianagram and Chirpurupalle estates. The Anakapalle town had a population of 18,539 in 1901. The municipal council was established in 1878.
As of the 2001 Indian census, Anakapalle had a population of 84,523. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Anakapalle has an average literacy rate of 67%, higher than the national average of 59.5%, with 54% of the males and 46% of females literate. 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Anakapalle is a parliamentary constituency in India.
List of Members of Parliament:
- 1957,1962 and 1967 - Missula Surya Naraya Murthy.
- 1971, 1977 and 1980 - S.R.A.S. Applanaidu
- 1984 - P. Appala Narasimham
- 1989 and 1991 - Konathala Rama Krishna
- 1996 - Chintakayala Ayyanna Patrudu
- 1998 - Gudivada Gurunadha Rao
- 1999 - Ganta Srinivasa Rao
- 2004 - Pappala Chalapathi Rao
- 2009 - Sabbam Hari
- 2014 -
List of Rajya Sabha Members:
- 1953-62 - Villuri Venkata Ramana
Anakapalle is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh.
List of Members of Legislative Assembly:
- 1955 - Beesetti Appa Rao
- 1951 and 1978 - Koduganti Govinda Rao
- 1983 - Raja Kanna Babu
- 1985, 1989, 1994 and 1999 - Dadi Veerabhadra Rao(TDP)
- 2004 - Konathala Ramakrishna(INC)
- 2009 - Ganta Srinivasa Rao(PRP)
- 2014 -
Anakapallian's are purely farmers. They produce lot of Rice, Corn, Sugarcane, and all types of vegetables. It is the second biggest Jaggery market in India. So many villages (Ummalada(Beside NH-5 and sarada river), Thummapala, Nagulapalli, Munagapaka, Thimmarajupeta, Haripalem, Patipalli, Vadrapalli, Thotada, Gavarla Anakapalli, Chuchukonda and Ganaparthy) around Anakapalli produces Sugarcane.
Tourist spots around Anakapalle
- Bojjana Konda, a historic place with great monuments and sculptures of Budhdha. This place is also famous for its Koti Lingas. This Tourist spot is just 2 km away from Anakapalle. It is highly crowded on the festival of Kanuma.
- Sri Sri Sri Nookambika Ammavari Temple: Is situated in mid of Anakapalli. Jathara been conducting every year on ugadi(kotha amavasya). Piligrams from all over the state also from orissa karnataka etc. visits the temple during Jathara
- Sri Om Shakti temple: It is located behind NTR market yard. every November 20 the festival is conducted very grandly.
- Around 10 km from Anakapalle is Kondakarla Ava. It is the second largest freshwater lake in the state and has been designated an ecotourism destination. Near the lake is a temple dedicated to Shri Dakshina Kasi Visweswara Swamy which houses the largest crystal lingam in the world. There is also a temple for Bhagiradhi ammavaru, where on every dussara 10 days festival will takaplace.
- Anakapalle is known for its seashores such as Mutyalammapalem, Tantadi, and Pudimadaka. Pudimadaka is visited by Hindus during the festival of Kartika Pournami every year.
- Andhra Baptist Church was built by CBCNC in 1895 having five missions Field in Nagulapalli, Yelamanchalli, Tagrampudi, Dibbaplaem, Chodavaram,Vaddadi
- The Hindu
- The Hindu
- The Hindu Business Line : Re-rolling steel mill inaugurated
- Falling Rain Genomics.Anakapalle
- Anakapalle Tahsil and Anakapalle Town in Imperial Gazetteer of India, Vol: 3, pp: 334.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Election Commission of India.A.P.Assembly results.1978-2004