|Born||Kerala, Republic of India|
|Occupation||fashion designer and company director|
Jon was born in Kerala, India and came to the U.S. to study at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale and later at Parsons The New School for Design. He credits Gianni Versace for his start in the fashion world.
Arrest and conviction
The prosecutors said Jon lured women and girls to his apartment under the pretext of securing modeling jobs. His defense said that the sexual activity was consensual, and that one minor who accused Jon of rape had lied about her age.
In July 2009, a judge denied a request for a new trial. Jon dismissed his attorneys before his sentencing. He asked for and was granted permission to represent himself for the sentencing phase of the proceedings. On August 31, 2009, Jon was sentenced to 59 years to life.
Jon has also been indicted in Texas and New York on charges alleging assault.
Jon is a nephew of Indian classical musician and playback singer, K.J. Yesudas. He has a sister, Sanjana Jon, who has actively advocated on behalf of her brother, requesting that the Indian government intervene in the LA trial.
- Leonard, Jack (2008-11-13). "Anand Jon Alexander Guilty of Rape". Los Angeles Times.
- "Anand Jon Alexander | US fashion designer gets 59 years to life sentence for rape". Smh.com.au. 2009-09-01. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- Richard Winton (March 20, 2007). "Designer is facing more sex charges". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- "US celebrity designer charged with rape". New Zealand Herald. 2007-03-15.
- Winton, Richard (2007-03-20). "Designer is facing more sex charges". Los Angeles Times.
- "Anand Jon acts as own attorney in sexual-assault case". Los Angeles Times. 2009-07-14.
- "LA Fashion Designer Gets 59 Years to Life Sentence". The New York Times. Associated Press. August 31, 2009. Retrieved September 1, 2009.[dead link]
- Anand Jon gets 59 years for sex crimes Chidanand Rajghatta Times of India Sept 9, 2009
- TNN, Mar 18, 2007, 12.30pm IST (2007-03-18). "Flashback of a rape accused - Page2 - Sunday TOI - Home - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- Anand Alexander's entry at California Sex Offender Registry