||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (September 2013)|
8 April 1966 |
Amritsar, Punjab, India
|Movement||Shakti - an NGO to educate girls and empower women|
Anandmurti Gurumaa (Devnagari: आनन्दमूर्ति गुरुमाँ Punjabi: ਅਨੰਦ੍ਮੁਰਤੀ ਮਾਂ), also known as Gurumaa born in Amritsar, Punjab India, is a modern day spiritual master. She has followers of many faiths including Hinduism, Sikhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism.
Anandmurti means “an embodiment of Divine Bliss” and Gurumaa means “Master Mother” in Hindi. Gurumaa teaches the disciplines of meditation, yoga, present moment awareness and self-realisation, using meditation techniques from yoga, zen, tantra, sufism, sikhism, buddhism and devised methods. Gurumaa's core teachings include meditation, self-realization, evolving consciousness and non-duality.
Gurumaa was born on the 8 April 1966 at Amritsar in Punjab, India. She was educated in a convent school graduated in arts. In her childhood she used to accompany her mother to spiritual discourses, gatherings, satsangs. She would also have assemblies of sadhus coming to her home. Some of the friendly mahatmas would speak to her.
Gurumaa is said to have attained enlightenment at the age of 16. She says she didn't put in years of austerity for enlightenment and she was a normal girl who used to enjoy all games, sports and extra-curricular activities, which she continued after college.
Gurumaa's discourses started coming daily on Sony Entertainment Television in the morning in 1999 and her popularity started increasing. Her followers started organizing meditation camps in Rishikesh twice a year. She established an ashram in the Ganaur area of Sonepat district in Haryana. Since the ashram had a limited residential capacity of around 500 people, she started conducting different meditation camps for people of different regions.
Gurumaa conducted a series of discourses on various spiritual texts of Hinduism, Sikhism, Islam, and Buddhism like Bhagavad Gita, Japji sahib, Rehraas Sahib, Jaap Sahib of Guru Granth Sahib, Guru Gita, Shankaracharya's Nirvana Shatkam and Bhaja Govindam, Narada Bhakti Sutra. Also including the poetry of Sufi mystics like Baba Bulle Shah, Baba Farid and Rumi. Sony discontinued airing Gurumaa's discourses in 2007.
- In Gurumaa's own words, If her teachings are to be summarized in one thing, it would be awareness.
- Gurumaa also emphasizes the need for all seekers to free themselves from the outer garb of religion, asserting that we don't experience fulfillment because of our expectations. Enlightenment can only happen if one surrenders completely to the existence.
|“||our relationship with God is rooted in expectations, which stops us from experiencing fulfillment. In the same manner, enlightenment will be denied to us as long as we long for it. It is only when we surrender the desire, that we will attain to it.||”|
Shakti is a mission started by Anandmurti Gurumaa to empower female children in India and stop female foeticide. Shakti supports the education of the girls from poor and needy families until 12th standard. Shakti gives financial support for education without any color/caste/creed discrimination. It was started informally in 2000. In the 2006-2007 academic year, around 175 girls were given full tuition fees for their studies.
Gurumaa has translated the Sufi love poems of the Turkish Sufi dervish Mevlana Jelaluddin Rumi into the Hindi language, for the first time in India. These poems were published in the book Prem ka chalakta jaam. Gurumaa has also sung few of Rumi's poems, translated to Hindi, on her album Rumi - Love at its zenith.
Gurumaa's products (details below) are available.
- Anandmurti Gurumaa, Know Thyself (Full Circle) 2010 ISBN 978-81-216-1486-3
- Anandmurti Gurumaa, Quotes of the Unquotable (Gurumaa Vani) 2004 ISBN 81-904060-1-9
- Anandmurti Gurumaa, Shivoham (Rupa & company.) 2006 ISBN 81-291-0897-6
- Anandmurti Gurumaa, Rumi Aur Main (Rupa & company.) 2005 ISBN 81-291-0824-0
- Seema Varma, Rays of Light (GM Vani) 2002
- Anandmurti Gurumaa, Ath Kahe Narad (saraswati vihar) 2004 ISBN 81-216-1043-5 
- Anandmurti Gurumaa. Going beyond the mind (Gurumaa Vani)
- Gurumaa on Gurumaa.com
- Gurumaa's teachings and question answers
- Meditation Techniques by Gurumaa published in Life Positive magazine
- Official Life Sketch
- Interview in Life Positive Magazine, May 2005 Issue
- Life Positive Expo 2005 talk
- Life Positive Expo 2006 talk
- Indian Express Ludhiana city edition, November 06, 2006
- Shakti initiative by Gurumaa
- Ananmurti Gurumaa's Shakti mission launched in UK
- Shakti Presentation
- Sufiana Andaaz - Tehelka Newspaper, Aug 26, 2006
- Prem ka chalakta jaam
- Rumi - love at its zenith
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Anandmurti Gurumaa|