Anantara Veli Resort & Spa Maldives
Anantara Veli Resort & Spa Maldives is a resort on the island of Veligandu in the South Malé Atoll. Anantara Veli's sister resort, Anantara Dhigu, is in close proximity, 150 metres across the lagoon. Restaurants, spas and recreational facilities on the two islands are shared.
Anantara Hotels, Resorts & Spas was launched in 2001, with its first resort, Anantara Hua Hin, situated in Thailand: the word Anantara comes from the Sanskrit for "the flow of water without borders". The Anantara brand is part of Minor International Plc, a hospitality and leisure company based in Thailand with approximately 30 properties in its portfolio including the Four Seasons, Marriott Resort & Spa, and spa brands such as Mandara and Anantara.
In 2006, the Anantara brand went global, with the launch of two properties in the Maldives. Anantara has plans to develop at least 40 resorts in Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Europe. Key locations being targeted are Sri Lanka, Vietnam and the Middle East.
Anantara Veli features 36 over-water bungalows that are 62-92sqm in size and are decorated in Maldivian style with traditional coconut thatch roofs. It also features 14 Deluxe Over-water bungalows, 7 Ocean Pool bungalows and 10 Deluxe Over-water Pool bungalows of the same style.
Anantara Spa Maldives has 14 treatment suites set over the lagoon on Dhigufinolhu and in gardens overlooking the Indian Ocean. Two double treatment suites have an outdoor relaxation area and Jacuzzi. Treatment rooms for Ayurvedic and Thai therapies reflect their cultural origins. There is also an over-water relaxation deck, outdoor showers, steam room, sauna, Jacuzzi and cold plunge pool.
- World's 12 Best Private Island Resorts, ISLANDS, April/May 2009
- 24 Best Lovers’ Retreats in the Region, Spa Asia, January/February 2009
- 100 Top Places To Visit in 2007, The Sunday Times (UK), January 2007
- "Green Globe certified", Breaking Travel News, March 2012
- Anantara http://www.anantara.com/default.aspx
- Minor International http://www.minorinternational.com/
- TTG Asia’s “Power 35”. Retrieved August 3rd, 2009. http://www.ttgasia.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14957&Itemid=33
- Bonjour Paris, Anantara & Times Destination Buzz. Retrieved September 3rd, 2009. http://www.bonjourparis.com/story/anantara-times-travel-destinations-buzzestinations
- Small Luxury Hotels of the World http://www.slh.com
- Virtuoso: Specialists in the Art of Travel http://www.virtuoso.com
- Kiwi Collection http://www.kiwicollection.com
- Drake & Cavendish http://www.drakeandcavendish.com
- Real Travel http://realtravel.com/h-313431-male_hotel-anantara_resort_spa
- Overwater Bungalows. http://www.overwaterbungalows.net/anantara-veli-resort-spa-maldives
- The Telegraph, My Blue Heaven. Retrieved July 31st, 2009. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/srilanka/739834/My-blue-heaven.html
- Harpers Bazaar, Not Just for Newlyweds (01/04/2009)
- The Independent, What's New in the Maldives (20/04/2008)
- Condé Nast, Traveler Island (01/07/2007)
- Luxx, A Dream with Your Eyes Open (01/05/2007)
- Vogue, The Ocean Explorer (01/05/2007)
- DestinAsian, Island Hopping in the Maldives: Where to Stay and Play (01/04/2007)
- Elle Decoration (Thailand), Hip and Luxurious Hideaways Around the Globe (01/03/2007)
- Madame Figaro (Thailand), A Must-do List for the Month of Love (01/02/2007)