|Release date(s)||JP 20120705July 5, 2012
NA 20130108January 8, 2013
AU 20130110January 10, 2013
EU January 11, 2013
|Genre(s)||Beat 'em up, open world|
|Distribution||Blu-ray disc, DVD-DL|
Anarchy Reigns (Japanese: マックス アナーキー Hepburn: Makkusu Anākī , "Max Anarchy") is a PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 beat 'em up video game developed by Platinum Games, published by Sega, produced by Atsushi Inaba and directed by Masaki Yamanaka. The game was released on July 5, 2012 in Japan, but the planned simultaneous release in North America, Europe and Australia is said "to be confirmed" by Sega on May 25. On June 18, Sega confirmed via Twitter that the game would be released in North America and Europe in March 2013, but on October 19, 2012, Sega announced that it released in North America on January 8, in Australia on January 10 and in Europe on January 11, 2013. It is a follow-up to the 2009 Platinum Games title MadWorld.
The player can control one of various types of fighters using extravagant moves to defeat their opponents. Multiplayer modes are Tag Team, Battle Royale, Death Match, Capture the Flag, and Survival. The single player campaign consists of two interwoven plots, Black Side and White Side. Once all of them are completed, the player can go on the Red.
Returning from MadWorld
- An agent of the Chaser Guild who wields Gator Tooth, a retractable double chainsaw on his mechanical arm. In Milvallen, Jeannie asks him to save her father.
- A bounty hunter and a cocksure brawler at heart who delivers combat swagger lines with his "Super Sexy Fists of Fire".
- Mathilda - Voiced by: Mari Malta (Japanese), Masasa Moyo (English)
- The Blacker Baron's assistant, who wields Iron Maiden, a spiked club.
- Big Bull - Voiced by: Kenichiro Matsuda (Japanese), Rick D. Wasserman (English)
- Previously seen as Big Bull Crocker. A cybrid (cyborg, a robot with a human brain) with a large bull-like body and the self-proclaimed King of Altambra, who wields the Jet Hammer. Four years ago, he suffered a great injury, so he got rid of his body and moved his brain into a robot.
- Hong Long's clan member of the Crimson Dragons who uses two fiery bladed fans, Yanlong.
- Leonhardt "Leo" Victorion - Voiced by: Hiroki Tōchi (Japanese), Jon Curry (English)
- Jack's rival, and an agent of the Bureau's Strike One unit who uses charged Positron Blades and seeks answers regarding his mentor, Max. Loosely based on Leo Formont from Madworld.
- A female agent of the Strike One unit who wields Snow Spikes, which freezes opponents or combining into a powerful ice blade.
- The intellectual leader of the Strike One unit with a villainous motive who wields Tesla coils (AKA Tesla Blitz) which grant him electrical powers.
- Durga - Voiced by: Takumi Yamazaki (Japanese), Sunil Malhotra (English)
- A cyborg bounty hunter with a hunting fixation who uses a big cat-like style of martial arts with the Revolver Cannon on his robotic leg.
- Garuda - Voiced by: Chris Edgerly
- Durga's partner and a transforming Jet-Plane mech that has flight capabilities, spinning attacks, and uses the Tornado Drill weapons to skewer enemies and is similar to Gargoyle, mass-produced and transformed jet-plane ones. His in-game bio claims he has the memories of Durga's once-living partner.
- Zero - Voiced by: Kazuhiro Nakaya (Japanese), Yuri Lowenthal (English)
- A cybernetic ninja and skilled practitioner of his Style Ninjutsu who wields two katanas, Onimaru and Juzumaru and has been fighting mutants and battling cyborgs in order to acquire data for the development of a new weapon for the drone army.
- Edgar Oinkie - Voiced by: Taichi Setogawa (Japanese), Yuri Lowenthal (English)
- Port Valenda's fat and heavy brawler and junk seller who uses his fists and a mutagen he calls "The Juice", which temporarily changes him into a reptilian beast, to deliver powerful blows in the blink of an eye.
- Fei Rin - Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame (Japanese), Stephanie Sheh (English)
- Rin Rin's older sister who uses an ice bladed trident, Zilong.
- Ai Rin - Voiced by: Yurin (Japanese), Stephanie Sheh (English)
- Rin Rin's younger sister who uses a lightning nunchucks, Huanglong.
- Douglas Williamsburg - Voiced by: Mugihito (Japanese), Chris Edgerly (English)
- Bari-Shur's mutant hunter who uses twin pilebunkers called The Twins (AKA Romeo and Julio).
- Former leader of the Bureau's Strike One unit, Leo's mentor, and a fugitive armed with Positron Blades and Tesla Blitz.
- Bayonetta - Voiced by: Hellena Taylor
- Secret unlockable character. Players must beat both Jack and Leo's Red Side in the Campaign mode, or reach level 22 in multiplayer.
- Amala - Voiced by: Kikuko Inoue (Japanese), Masasa Moyo (English)
- Jack's spy and hacker from MadWorld. She returns to help Jack, Mathilda, and the Blacker Baron in the former's search for Maximillian.
- Jeannie Caxton - Voiced by: Juri Mori (Japanese), Kim Mai Guest (English)
- Maximillian's daughter who hires Jack to find her missing father.
- Stela Fitzgerald - Voiced by: Yurin (Japanese), Stephanie Sheh (English)
- Jack's six year-old daughter who was shot by friendly fire during the rescue.
|2.||"Over In A Flash"||Sick YG|
|3.||"My Pride"||Skitz the Samurida|
|4.||"Sound The Alarm"||Ox|
|6.||"Laughin At U"||Tre-Dot|
|7.||"Soon Enough"||Sick YG|
|8.||"I Know U Want Me"||Bandy Leggz|
|9.||"My Town, My City"||Skitz the Samurida|
|10.||"Gotta Get The Cash"||Doujah Raze|
|11.||"Kill Em All"||Ox|
|13.||"They Came From Underground"||Rushden & Diamonds|
|14.||"Play My Ass Off"||Josh Clemons|
|16.||"Unlimited Resources"||Skitz the Samurida|
|18.||"Play For Keeps"||Sick YG|
|19.||"We Play"||Doujah Raze|
|20.||"The Hand Of Science"||Skitz the Samurida|
|21.||"Here We Go"||Theory Hazit|
|23.||"Days of Old"||Vstylez|
|24.||"It's All About Me"||Bandy Leggz|
|25.||"Fast Lane"||Rushden & Diamonds|
|26.||"Testin' Me"||Doujah Raze|
|28.||"We All Soldiers"||Skitz the Samurida|
|31.||"Find You"||Doujah Raze|
|32.||"This Is Madness"||Dilated Peoples|
- "PG Break Episode 08 « PlatinumGames Inc". Platinumgames.com. 2012-05-25. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Contact Michael McWhertor: Comment (2011-01-27). "First Look At Anarchy Reigns, From The Makers of Madworld". Kotaku.com. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Yin, Wesley (2012-05-25). "Anarchy Reigns delayed in the West, Platinum says • News •". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Dutton, Fred (2012-06-18). "Anarchy Reigns gets new US/Euro release window • News •". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Liebl, Matt (2012-10-19). "Anarchy Reigns release dates announced". GameZone.com. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Bedford, John (2011-02-28). "Anarchy Reigns Preview • Page • Previews •". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "PG Break Episode 05 « PlatinumGames Inc". Platinumgames.com. 2012-04-06. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "Anarchy Reigns' Big Bull Nails You With The Jet Hammer". Kotaku.com. 2011-02-03. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "Anarchy Reigns - Leo Trailer - PS3 Xbox360". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Contact Michael McWhertor: Comment (2011-01-31). "Our First Look At Anarchy Reigns (and The Lovely Sasha) In Action". Kotaku.com. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "SEGA Blog | ANARCHY REIGNS – Meet Nikolai". Blogs.sega.com. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Meet Anarchy Reigns' Zero And His Two Stabby Friends". Kotaku.com. 2011-02-01. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- [dead link]
- "Bayonetta Appears in Anarchy Reigns". Andriasang.com. 2012-03-21. Retrieved 2012-07-05.