|Origin||Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, United States|
|Labels||Artist Friendship, Anticon, Moor Works|
|Associated acts||Younger, Fun.|
|Past members||Andrew Dost
Kevin Greenlees (The Jig)
Anathallo was a band originally from Mt. Pleasant, Michigan and then based in Chicago, Illinois. The band started practicing in the fall of 2000 and played their first show soon afterward. Their name is derived from a Greek word meaning "to renew, refresh or bloom again."
Anathallo was formed in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, in 2000. The band, led by singer/guitarist Matt Joynt, often consisted of seven or eight members who relentlessly self-promoted, releasing four independent EPs and booking themselves for a reported eighteen national tours.
That year the band released Floating World, a concept album based on a Japanese story called Hana-Saka-Jiji, and relocated to Chicago, Illinois after an offer to be the house band at a city church called Berry United Methodist. The album spawned several songs that were used in television commercials, including "Yuki! Yuki! Yuki!" in a Vick's ad, and "Dokkoise House (With Face Covered)" in an American Express commercial. The income from these licenses allowed the band a less stressful experience pursuing their follow-up album.
In 2008, Canopy Glow was released to critical acclaim. The group, now consisting of a somewhat different line-up, rehearsed the songs from the album in the church they were residents at before recording, a process that they took their time with. The band embarked upon two national tours as the headliners before going on hiatus.
On April 12, 2010, after a long silence from the band, member Bret Wallin addressed the inactivity on his personal blog:
Many of you know me from a past life. One which included month-long van rides, small rooms in the back filled with bottled water, playing Tetris with a trailer and seven people's musical equipment, a dry hoodie over a sweat-filled shirt by the end of each night. So let's put it on the record. It's not as though we put a stake through Anathallo's vampire heart. It's more that we wandered the band back to rest, to let it sleep through the day. And whatever or whoever wakes up in its place, we'll see.
- Matt Joynt – Vocals, Guitar, Auxiliary Percussion, Piano
- Bret Wallin – Trombone, Auxiliary Percussion, Vocals
- Danny Bracken – Guitar, Auxiliary Percussion, Vocals
- Seth Walker – Bass, Vocals
- Jeremiah Johnson – Drums, Percussion, Vocals (current drummer for Wild Nothing)
- Erica Froman – Vocals, Auxiliary Percussion, Autoharp
- Jamie Macleod – Piano, Trumpet, Auxiliary Percussion, Vocals
- Andrew Dost - Flugelhorn, Piano, Vocals, Auxiliary Percussion c d e (current member of the band Fun.)
- Greg Leppert – Trumpet (current member of the band Foxhole)
- Joel Thiele – Drums a b c d e
- Nathan Sandberg – Trombone, Auxiliary Percussion, Piano, Vocals a b c d e
- Kevin Greenlees/The Jig – Trombone, Auxiliary Percussion, Vocals c d e
- Glenn King – Guitar, Auxiliary Percussion, Vocals a b c d
- Ty Forquer – Drums, Auxiliary Percussion, Keyboard a b
(Letters denote albums that former members recorded and/or wrote: a Luminous Luminescence in the Atlas Position, b Sparrows, c A Holiday at the Sea, d Hymns EP, e Floating World)
|2001||Luminous Luminescence in the Atlas Position||Artist Friendship|
|2003||A Holiday at the Sea||Artist Friendship|
|2005||Entropy||Potential Getaway Driver||12-inch vinyl split EP with Javelins|
|2006||Anathallogy||Artist Collective||compilation album|
|2008||"Hanasakajijii (Four: A Great Wind, More Ash)"||Big Scary Monsters||UK-only 7-inch vinyl single|
- Kate Kiefer, 4 to Watch: Anathallo; Creation in Isolation, Paste Magazine, June 7, 2006 (accessed November 27, 2008).
- BW [Bret Wallin] (March 21, 2008). "Canopy Glow". Your Happy Makes Me Go Oldies. Retrieved November 27, 2008.
- "Press". Anathallo.com. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "XXXV. Hana-Saka-Jiji". Chestofbooks.com. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "Anticon". Anticon. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- "Anathallo abandons concepts – The Maneater". Themaneater.com. 2008-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- Legaspi, Althea. "Anathallo's top 5 most serendipitous Canopy Glow moments :: Music :: Features :: Paste". Pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- [dead link]
- "Andrew Dost". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2014-03-22.