||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007)|
Anatoly Timofeevich Fomenko (Russian: Анато́лий Тимофе́евич Фоме́нко) (born 13 March 1945 in Stalino, USSR) is a Soviet and Russian mathematician, professor at Moscow State University, well known as a topologist, and a full member of the Russian Academy of Sciences. He is a supporter of revising historical chronology.
Anatoly T. Fomenko is a full member (Academician) of the Russian Academy of Sciences (1994), the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences (1991), the International Higher Education Academy of Sciences (1993) and Russian Academy of Technological Sciences (2009), as well as a doctor of physics and mathematics (1972), a professor (1980), and head of the Differential Geometry and Applications Department of the Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics in Moscow State University (1992). Fomenko is the author of the theory of topological invariants of integrable Hamiltonian system. He is the author of 180 scientific publications, 26 monographs and textbooks on mathematics, a specialist in geometry and topology, variational calculus, symplectic topology, Hamiltonian geometry and mechanics, and computer geometry. Fomenko is also the author of a number of books on the development of new empirico-statistical methods and their application to the analysis of historical chronicles as well as the chronology of antiquity and the Middle Ages.
Fomenko is the author of extensive writings in his original fields of mathematics, and is also known for his original drawings inspired by topological objects and structures.
Fomenko is a supporter of drastically revising historical chronology. He has created his own revision called New Chronology, based on statistical correlations, dating of zodiacs, and by examining the mathematics and astronomy involved in chronology. Fomenko claims that he has discovered that many historical events do not correspond mathematically with the dates they are supposed to have occurred on. He asserts from this that all of ancient history (including the history of Greece, Rome, and Egypt) is just a reflection of events that occurred in the Middle Ages and that all of Chinese and Arab history are fabrications of 17th and 18th century Jesuits.
He also claims that Jesus lived in the 12th century A.D. and was crucified on Joshua's Hill; that the Trojan war and the Crusades were the same historical event; and that Genghis Khan and the Mongols were actually Russians. As well as disputing written chronologies, Fomenko also disputes more objective dating techniques such as dendrochronology and radiocarbon dating (see here for an examination of the latter criticism). His books include Empirico-statistical Analysis of Narrative Material and Its Applications and History: Fiction or Science?.
- Mathematical Impressions, by A. T. Fomenko and Richard Lipkin, American Mathematical Society, 1990, 184 pp. ISBN 0-8218-0162-7
- A.V.Bolsinov and A.T. Fomenko : Integrable Hamiltonian Systems: Geometry, Topology, Classification (Hardcover), ISBN 0-415-29805-9
- A.T. Fomenko Differential Geometry and Topology Plenum Publishing Corporation. 1987. USA, Consultants Bureau, New York and London.
- A.T. Fomenko Variational Principles of Topology. Multidimensional Minimal Surface Theory. Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, 1990.
- A.T. Fomenko Topological variational problems. – Gordon and Breach, 1991.
- A.T. Fomenko Integrability and Nonintegrability in Geometry and Mechanics. Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, 1988.
- A.T. Fomenko The Plateau Problem (vols. 1, 2). Gordon and Breach, 1990. (Studies in the Development of Modern Mathematics.)
- A.T. Fomenko Symplectic Geometry. Methods and Applications. Gordon and Breach, 1988. Second edition 1995.
- A.T. Fomenko, Dao Chong Thi Minimal surfaces and Plateau problem. USA, American Mathematical Society, 1991.
- A.T. Fomenko, V. V. Trofimov Integrable Systems on Lie Algebras and Symmetric Spaces. Gordon and Breach, 1987.
- A.T. Fomenko, A.A.Tuzhilin Geometry of Minimal Surfaces in Three-Dimensional Space. USA, American Mathematical Society. In: Translation of Mathematical Monographs. vol.93, 1991.
- A.T. Fomenko Topological Classification of Integrable Systems. Advances in Soviet Mathematics, vol. 6. USA, American Mathematical Society, 1991.
- A.T. Fomenko Tensor and Vector Analysis: Geometry, Mechanics and Physics. – Taylor and Francis, 1988.
- A.T. Fomenko Visual geometry and topology. Springer-Verlag, 1994.
- A.T. Fomenko, S.V.Matveev Algorithmic and Computer Methods for Three-Manifolds. Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, 1997.
- A.T. Fomenko, T.L. Kunii Topological Modeling for Visualization. – Springer-Verlag, 1997.
- B. A. Dubrovin, S. P. Novikov, A.T. Fomenko Modern Geometry. Methods and Applications. Springer-Verlag, GTM 93, Part 1, 1984; GTM 104, Part 2, 1985. Part 3, 1990, GTM 124.
- A.T. Fomenko, S. P. Novikov The basic elements of differential geometry and topology. Kluwer Acad. Publishers, The Netherlands, 1990.
- A.T. Fomenko, A. V. Bolsinov Integrable Hamiltonian Systems: Geometry, Topology, Classification. Taylor and Francis, 2003.
- A.T. Fomenko et al.: History: Fiction or Science? Chronology 1, Introducing the problem. A criticism of the Scaligerian chronology. Dating methods as offered by mathematical statistics. Eclipses and zodiacs. ISBN 2-913621-07-4
- A.T. Fomenko et al.: History: Fiction or Science? Chronology 2, The dynastic parallelism method. Rome. Troy. Greece. The Bible. Chronological shifts. ISBN 2-913621-06-6
- A.T. Fomenko et al.: History: Fiction or Science? Chronology 3, Astronomical methods as applied to chronology. Ptolemy’s Almagest. Tycho Brahe. Copernicus. The Egyptian zodiacs. ISBN 2-913621-08-2
- Nosovsky G.V., Fomenko А.Т. «Russia. Britain. Byzantium. Rome. History: Fiction or Science? Chronology vol. IV»,— Paris, London, New York: Mithec, Delamere Resources LLC, 2008, 727 pp.
- A.T. Fomenko Empirico-Statistical Analysis of Narrative Material and its Applications to Historical Dating. Vol.1: The Development of the Statistical Tools. Vol.2: The Analysis of Ancient and Medieval Records. – Kluwer Academic Publishers. The Netherlands, 1994.
- A.T. Fomenko, V. V Kalashnikov., G. V. Nosovsky Geometrical and Statistical Methods of Analysis of Star Configurations. Dating Ptolemy's Almagest. – CRC-Press, USA, 1993.
- A.T. Fomenko New Methods of Statistical Analysis of Historical Texts. Applications to Chronology. Antiquity in the Middle Ages. Greek and Bible History. Vols.1, 2, 3. – Edwin Mellen Press. USA. Lewiston. Queenston. Lampeter, 1999.
- Fomenko A.T. «Antiquity in the Middle Ages. Greek and Bible History»,— USA, Lewiston, Queenston, Lampeter: The Edwin Mellen Press, (Scholarly Monographs in the Russian Language), 1999
- Fomenko A.T. «Some new empirico–statistical methods of dating and the analysis of present global chronology»,— London: The British Library, Department of printed books. Cup. 918/87, 1981
- "From Marcus Warren in Moscow". Daily Telegraph. June 14, 2001.
- Bulletin "In defence of science" #1 of the Russian Academy of Sciences (in Russian) download in PDF
- Bulletin "In defence of science" #2 of the Russian Academy of Sciences (in Russian) download in PDF
- http://hbar.phys.msu.ru/gorm/fomenko/zaliznk.htm. A critical look at Fomenko's linguistics (in Russian)
- Kirwan, Frances C. (1988). "Review: Differential geometry and topology". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 19 (1): 340–343. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1988-15664-9.
- Almgren, Fred (1992). "Review: Variational principles of topology". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 26 (1): 188–192. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1992-00256-2.
- Banchoff, Thomas (1997). "Review: Visual geometry and topology". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 34 (1): 35–38. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-97-00694-0.
- Berger, Melvyn S. (1985). "Review: Modern geometry (Souremennaya geometriya)". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 13 (1): 62–65. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1985-15366-2.
- Berger, Melvyn S. (1988). "Review: Modern geometry—methods and applications. Part II, The geometry and topology of manifolds". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 18 (1): 112–114. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1988-15626-1.
- Biography and list of his 'New Impressions' art (German language)
- Outline of his book in the English language "History: Fiction or Science?".
- Fomenko's Drawings at the Wayback Machine (archived July 12, 2007)
- New Chronology official site (Russian language)
- New Chronology analysis and criticism (Russian language)
- Anatoly Fomenko at the Mathematics Genealogy Project