||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)|
Anbumai Ramadoss is the son of Ayya Dr. Ramadoss, politician of Tamil Nadu founder of Pattali Makkal Katchi. He did his schooling at Montfort Yercaud near Salem. He is an MBBS graduate. Later he joined Politics with his father
Anbumani Ramadoss had been the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare of the Government of India from May, 2004 till he resigned his post in April 2009 and is a member of Parliament from Dharmapuri (Lok Sabha constituency). He belongs to the Pattali Makkal Katchi party. Born on 9 October 1968 in Pondicherry, Anbumani Ramadoss was a student of Madras Medical College and is a doctor by Profession. Ramadoss is also the PMK President and is the leader of the Pasumai Thayagam (Green Motherland) movement. At the time of induction into the Manmohan Singh cabinet of 2004, Anbumani Ramadoss was the youngest Cabinet Minister in the Union Cabinet. And now he was elected as Member of parliament from Dharmapuri Consistuency. PMK Declares Anbumani Ramadoss as Chief Ministerial Candidate for Tamil Nadu Assembly Poll (2016).
Rural Healthcare Initiative
Ramadoss started his public service as a medical practitioner in the rural areas near Tindivanam, Tamil Nadu. This experience led him to believe that the rural healthcare system needed to be improved substantially. As the Health Minister, he established the National Rural Health Mission in 2005 to provide primary care to rural poor with an emphasis on the needs of women and children.
Development of AIIMS New Delhi
During the tenure of T D Dogra as Director of All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi and Anbumani Ramadoss as Union Minister of Health and Family welfare, the seeds for taking the AIIMS to new heights (AIIMS-II) were showed by acquiring 330 acre's of land in Jajhar District of Haryana. It was visualized to be a biggest super speciality training center in the world.The Moily committee recommendations were implemented. The tunnel between Trauma Center and main AIIMS Hospital was planned and work started by depositing money with METRO Delhi. The one time largest number of faculty positions (160) and staff were created along with a new Academic Center was planned and finances were sanctioned for these positions and facilities, first time since the inception of AIIMS. Trauma Center and Dental Educational and Research Center were made fully functional during this period. The new Surgical Block, Mother and child centre,Hostel Block,Residential block,OPD Block,Urology Centre and other redevelopment activities integrated with the earlier prepared Master plan were rearranged and architectural process was augmented for its implementation, the clearance from Ministry of civil aviation and urban development for construction of 9 story buildings was obtained to facilitate future development of AIIMS.
Anbumoni Ramadoss was prime supporter of the new reservation policy that mandated 27% of seats to so-called "Other Backward Classes (OBC)" in all central government institutions. He ensured that Dr. P. Venugopal, an eminent heart surgeon and head of AIIMS, be removed in favor of Dr. T D. Dogra a renowned Forensic expert. The conflict between Dr.P. Venugpoal and Anbumani Ramadoss started as a personality conflict,later politicised as a conflict on reservation issue. P. Venugopal was reinstated by supreme court for an interim period of one month before his retirement.
The National Institute of Siddha
National Institute of Siddha, Tambaram Sanatorium, Chennai is founded by Anbbumani Ramadoss on September 3, 2005. Anbumani Ramadoss decided to name the Institute after Pandithar Iyothee Thasssar, considering the representations from several political parties. Pandithar Iyothee Thasssar a Tamil scholar born into a Dalit family, he is said to have founded the Indian Buddhist Association in 1890.
Anti-tobacco, Anti-Alcohol Initiatives
Ramadoss brought stringent controls on tobacco and alcohol sales and advertisements to India. Under his leadership, the Health Ministry brought rules to ban smoking in public places (including work places), ban tobacco advertising, ban sale of tobacco products to minors and ban sale of tobacco products within 100 yards of educational institutions. Ramadoss faced strong opposition from the tobacco and alcohol lobbies. He also advocated a ban on showing smoking or drinking in movies and television. In spite of strong resistance from the entertainment industry, statutory warnings superimposed on scenes depicting drinking started to appear on TV.
Ramadoss's anti-smoking advocacy won him recognition from the American Cancer Society which recognized the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India with Luther L. Terry Award in 2006.
He took major steps to eradicate polio completely from India. On March 29, 2014 The President, Shri Pranab Mukherjee presented the memento of appreciation to the former Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Anbumani Ramadoss at the inauguration of Rotary International’s Polio-Free Conclave-2014, in New Delhi.
Ramadoss was arrested on 1 May 2013 in case related to a speech he made at the Chithirai Muzhunilavu Peruvizha meeting in 2012 at Mamallapuram. He was booked under Sections 143, 147 and 188 of Indian Penal Code.
- Anbumani Ramadoss Official Parliament biography[dead link]
-  National Rural Health Mission Retrieved on 2009-06-25
- "Venugopal removed, T D Dogra is new AIIMS director". The Times of India. 30 November 2007. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "Haryana to get AIIMS extension, Rohtak PGI to be upgraded". Indian express. 21 Dec 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Haryana offers free land for 2nd AIIMS campus". Times of India. 11 February 2009. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Oversight committee". Government of India. 2009. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Work on AIIMS tunnel initiated". The Hindu. 24 September 2008. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "AIIMS facing staff crunch: Parliamentary panel". Z News. April 27, 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Finally AIIMS get a Trauma center". Delhi Live. 2 November 2006. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "New surgical tower to come up at AIIMS". The Hindu. June 15, 2008. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Ramadoss takes AIIMS head-on, blocks funds". IBN Alive. March 2008. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Quota row halts appointment of docs in AIIMS". Economic Times. Jul 8, 2007. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Top forensic doctor to be acting Director AIIMS.". India edunews.in. 27 June 2008. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Rajesh Talwar Prime Suspect in Aarushi Murder Case: CBI(12th para)". The Times of India. 2 January 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "The sheer power that a forensic science doctor at AIIMS holds". The News Minute. July 4, 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Destroying AIIMS". INDIA TODAY. July 17, 2006. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Bitter pill for Ramadoss, Venugopal reinstated". May 2008. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- http://www.cancer.org/docroot/AA/content/AA_9_1_2006_Award_Winners.asp? Luther L. Terry Award 2006
- PMK leader Anbumani Ramadoss arrested
- Anbumani Ramadoss
- Anbumani Ramadoss Profile
- BBC Anbumani Ramadoss
- National Rural Health Mission - Progress sofar
- Legalise homosexuality: Ramadoss
|Minister of Health and Family Welfare
May 2004 - April 2009
Ghulam Nabi Azad