|• Total||24.45 km2 (9.44 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,170/km2 (3,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Nearest city||Kollam, Thiruvananthapuram.|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kollam|
Anchal is a very fast developing town in the east central part of Kollam district of Kerala, India. What characterizes this village is its quick pace of development. It has the advantage of being located strategically between NH-208 and the MC road.It is one of the "Special Grade Panchayats" of Kollam district. Historically parts of the Anchal Range Office Junction today (R.O Junction) used to be a forest with unpaved roads that led to ((Kadakkal)), Ayoor, Kulathupuzha and Punalur. Panayamcherry situated to the north-west of Anchal used to be its cultural center in times the past.
There are different legends to how the name Anchal came into being. One legend speaks of how there used to be an "Anchalappis (അഞ്ചലാപ്പീസ്)" at what used to be the present Range Office junction which eventually gave it its name. Another speaks of how five disputes evolved in the region eventually giving it its name as being the land of five disputes or proverbs or puzzles (അഞ്ചു തർക്കങ്ങളുടെ നാട് ). The disputes being
- Whether the Anchal Pond is really a Bandh or a Pond?
Situated at Aeram, between the Anchal - Thadicadu road, the Anchal pond is constructed like a pool with a shape that loosely resembles a rectangle. However it is connected to a water channel or more specifically a natural stream. Its shape cannot be considered a perfect rectangle either with it having rounded edges at sides reminiscent of a bandh. This has caused confusion in its definition, much like the famous heap paradox where the problem arises due to the inexactness of definitions involved in what a bandh is and what a pond is.
- Whether the leaves of the strychnine tree at Vadamon taste bitter or sweet?
There is a strychnine tree located at Vadamon near Thole school. Some of its leaves taste sweet and the other leaves do not have any special taste, not even the usual bitter taste typical of the leaves of the strychnine tree. Since no one has ever seen this tree bloom or fruit, it's uncertain what taste the seeds will have.
- Whether the "Field Temple" is in the Paddy fields or in solid land?
There is a temple at Aeram which appears to be situated in the paddy fields (wet unstable ground). However upon closer examination one can find that the altar is situated in solid ground, this causes a confusion as to whether the temple is in the field or in solid land.
- Whether the sage of Agasthyacodu is male or female?
There is a local legend of a sage who once lived in the Agasthyacodu temple. However because the representation shows the sage lying on the stomach, it is not possible to check whether the sage was male or female. Curiously there is a representation which shows the bosom but the temple itself is dedicated to Shiva, so one cannot easily put a finger on the gender issue.
There exists an old family known as the "kurumakkattukar" whose caste within the Nair caste cannot be determined due to the lack of sources and evidence
Another legend points to the presence of five banyan trees or Aal in the region which gave it the name Anchal, a portmanteau of Anch meaning five and Aal meaning Banyan tree.
Ganesh Temple: One of the oldest Ganapathy Temples in Kollam district. Believed to be a very old Kavu turned into a temple. Some say it was rebuilt by Marthanda Varma, ruler of Travancore. In 2009 the temple was rebuilt to a new look. Main deity of the temple is Lord Ganesha. Another Major Religious Centers
Agastyacode Sree Mahadevar Temple:
Anchal has many government, aided and un-aided institutions.
- St John's school
- Govt HSS&VHSS Anchal East
- Govt HSS Anchal West
- Govt LPS, Anchal
- St George Central school
- Sabarigiri HSS
- Anand Bhavan
- BVUPS Anchal
- Govt High School Nettayam
- Holy Family central school
- Govt HSS Yeroor
- Govt LPS Yeroor
- Govt HSS Karukone
- Govt High School Aylara
- GOVT HSS VAYALA
- St. John's College, Anchal
- St Joseph's Nursing college
- Sabarigiri Nursing College
- Mar Baselios Institute of Technology [MBIT] (MCA College)
- Sabarigiri B.Ed College
- Kerala University B.Ed Centre
- University Institute of Technology, Yeroor
- PSET Engineering College, Areeplachy, Anchal
- Islamic Educational & Cultural Centre(Islamic Library & Study Center) (Access not restricted based on religious identity)
Famous people from Anchal
- Father Abraham Joseph - Vice President Welfare Party of India.
- Resul Pookutty - Won the Oscar Award for Best Sound Mixing for Slumdog millionaire.
- Rajiv Anchal - Malayalam screenwriter and film director.
- East Coast Vijayan - Album maker and stage show organizer
- Sukunan Meshiri - Malayalam screenwriter and film director.
- Shaiju Mathew - Author and Film Maker
- Abhishek R S -Malayalam actor Drishyam
- [ AKHIL JAYAPALAN ] Malayalam movie writter
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anchal.|