Anchor Baby (film)
|Directed by||Lonzo Nzekwe|
|Written by||Lonzo Nzekwe|
|Music by||Sean Baillie|
Alpha Galore Films
|Distributed by||Alpha Galore Inc.|
|Box office||₦18,000,000 (domestic gross)|
Anchor Baby is a Nigerian drama thriller film written, directed and produced by Lonzo Nzekwe and starring Omoni Oboli, Sam Sarpong and Terri Oliver. At the 2010 Harlem International Film Festival in New York, the film won the award for Best Film and Omoni Oboli, the main protagonist of the film, was awarded the Best Actress award. The film received two nominations at the 7th Africa Movie Academy Awards.
A married Nigerian couple, Joyce and Paul Unanga, living undocumented in the United States, has been ordered to leave the country by U.S. immigration. They decide that they will leave, but only after Joyce, who is five months pregnant, delivers her baby in the United States to guarantee automatic U.S. citizenship for their child. Thusly ignoring the deportation order, the couple goes into hiding. When Paul is caught and deported, leaving Joyce to fend for herself, she struggles on her own to survive. Bureaucracy keeps getting in the way of Joyce achieving her goal and just as she is about to give up hope, she meets Susan, a married freelance writer who offers to help in the form of safe, free accommodation until the baby is born. With the help of her newfound friend, Joyce sets out to make the ‘American Dream’ come true for her unborn child.
- "Movie producers beg banks for cash as Nollywood goes global". Lagos, Nigeria: Business Day. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Olatunji, Samuel (9 December 2012). "Nigeria’s five bankable actresses". NigeriaFilms.com. Lagos, Nigeria: NigeriaFilms.com. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "Hi5 2010 FILM AWARDS". Ney York, USA. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- "Can Anchor Baby do better than Ije and Figurine?". Sunday Tribune (Ibadan, Nigeria). 23 November 2010. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- "AMAA Nominations 2011". African Movie Academy Awards. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- Balogun, Adeola (10 December 2010). "I got Omoni Oboli out of the blue for my first movie – Lonzo Nzekwe, Anchor Baby producer". The Punch (Lagos, Nigeria). Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- Odulaja, Adedayo (31 December 2010). "Nollywood’s prospect is bright –Lonzo Nzekwe". The Daily Independent (Lagos, Nigeria). Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- "Anchor Baby and the dark underbelly of the American Dream". Daily Trust (Abuja, Nigeria). 12 February 2011. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- "Anchor Baby". Pan-African Film Festival. Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- Idowu, Ayo (30 July 2010). "Pregnant star actress, Omoni Oboli, ordered out of US •Struggles to gain citizenship for her unborn child". Nigerian Tribune (Lagos, Nigeria). Retrieved 10 March 2011.
|This 2010s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a Nigerian film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|