Anclote Keys Light
Anclote Keys lighthouse as it appeared in 2005
|Location||Anclote Key at the mouth of the Anclote River, near Tarpon Springs, Florida|
|Year first lit||1887|
|Deactivated||1984, reactivated 2003|
|Tower shape||brown skeletal tower with central cylinder and black lantern|
|Height||110 feet (34 m)|
|Original lens||third-order Fresnel lens|
|Current lens||fourth-order Fresnel lens (reproduction)|
|Range||19 nautical miles (35 km; 22 mi)|
White, Flashing group of 4, every 30 sec
Anclote Key Lighthouse
|Location||Southern end of Anclote Key Island, Anclote Key Island, Florida|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Other, cast-iron Skeletal Structure|
|NRHP Reference #||99000410|
|Added to NRHP||April 1, 1999|
The Anclote Keys Light was a lighthouse built in 1887 on Anclote Key, the largest of the Anclote Keys. It is a skeletal square pyramidal tower, painted brown, with a black lantern. After the lighthouse was automated in 1952 the tower and other buildings at the site were often vandalized, interfering with the operation of the light. The Coast Guard determined that the light was no longer needed and deactivated it in 1984. The site was eventually turned over to the State of Florida and added to Anclote Key Preserve State Park. As of 2003 the lighthouse has been restored and relighted using a reproduction fourth-order Fresnel lens. Anclote Key is accessible only by boat.
It is listed as Anclote Key Light number 1555 in the USCG light lists.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Florida". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Anclote Keys Lighthouse". Historic Lighthouse Publishers. Archived from the original on 15 December 2005. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Anclote Key Lighthouse Page". Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Light List, Volumes 1-7. United States Coast Guard.
- McCarthy, Kevin M. 1990 Anclote Key Lighthouse. Florida Lighthouses. University of Florida Press, Gainesville, Florida.
- "Anclote Key Preserve State Park". Florida Park Service. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
|This Florida protected area related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a property in Pinellas County, Florida on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|