Andersen Viana (Belo Horizonte-Minas Gerais) has a Ph.D. in Music Composition from the Federal University of Bahia, Brazil. He began his activities as a composer at the age of thirteen and as a music professor at the age of nineteen. He presently works as a composer-conductor and cultural producer, as well as a professor at the Clóvis Salgado Foundation – Palácio das Artes in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, in addition to offering lectures and workshops in various institutions both in Brazil and abroad. He did his first studies with his father – Sebastião Vianna (assistant and reviser for the Brazilian composer, Heitor Villa-Lobos) – and most recently furthered his studies in other institutions in Brazil, Italy, and Sweden – namely UFMG, UFBA, Reale Filarmonica Accademia di Bologna, Arts Academy of Rome, Accademia Chigiana di Siena, and Royal University College of Music in Stockholm. He has also published over fifty articles both in Brazil and Europe.
Viana has received twenty four awards in Argentina, Brazil, Europe and the USA, including the “Prix de Composition” at “First Composition Competition Festin Choral 2013” city of Billère-France, “First Prize” at the “Susanville Symphony Composition Competition 2012” in USA, “First Prize” in the International Contest of Composition ”Lys Music Orchestra 2001” in Belgium, “First Prize” and the “Audience Prize” in the “Lambersart 2006 International Contest of Composition” in France. To date, he has composed 315 musical pieces for voices, chamber, symphonic as well as electronic instruments.
Viana has also composed film scores for the following films: A Cartomante, Retalhos do Taquaril, Bem Próximo do Mal, Jogando para o Amanhã, O Próximo Passo, Gun’s Speech, Trem Fantasma, 3:00:AM, Corações Ardentes, Filhos de Adão, Perdidos em Abbey Road, Vivalma, Manuelzão e Bananeira, Ofélia, Opostos, Minas Portuguesa, O Homem da Cabeça de Papelão, Condenado, Ser Humano, Um Dia Qualquer, Nego, Alone in the Hell, Reenactment and Desafios.
Viana has also organised and conducted/directed various vocal and instrumental ensembles, including: "Orquestra Experimental" (1983), "Septheto Rio" (1986), "Coro Pedagógico da FEBEM" (1991), "Coro do Centro de Estudos da Embaixada do Brasil em Roma" (1993), "Coro da Cultura Inglesa BH" (1994), "Trio Barroco" (1994), "Orchestra Virtual" (1995), "Estocolmo Nonet" (1996), “The Duo” (1997), “Coro da SMRU”, “Camerata Primavera” (2003), “A Cigarra e a Orquestra” (2006–2008), and “Coral IOCHPE MAXION”(2009). He has developed diverse musical projects in countries other than Brazil, such as Belgium, Bulgaria, the USA, France, Germany, Greece, Honduras, Italy, Portugal, The United Kingdom, the Czech Republic, Russia, Denmark, and Sweden.
- PhD in Music Composition, School of Music, Federal University of Bahia-Brazil
- Specialization Course in Film Music Composition at Reale Accademia Filarmonica di Bologna - Italy
- "Guest Student" at the Royal University College of Music in Stockholm - Sweden
- Specialization Course in composition of film music at the Accademia Chigiana di Siena - Italy
- Specialization Course in composition at the Arts Academy of Rome - Italy
- B.A. in Music Composition, School of Music-Federal University of Minas Gerais(UFMG),Brazil
- Methodology in Music Education, UFMG
- Piano Interpretation Extension Course, UFMG
- International Pro-Art Viola Course
- Curso Internacional Pro-Arte em Viola (Teresópolis)
- Curitiba Cultural Music Workshop)
- International Course of High-level Interpretation of Violin and Viola
- Poços de Caldas International Summer Music Course in Composition
- Workshops of screen writing, texts, and cinema with Paulo Halm,
- Cláudio MacDowell, and Ana Miranda.
- 2014 - Composition Prize PAMPA(Programa Argentino de Moradas del Pensamiento e Artes)- Argentina
- 2013 - “Prix de Composition” at “First Composition Competition Festin Choral 2013” city of Billère-France,
- 2012 - First Prize at Susanville Symphony Composition Prize – USA.
- 2009 - Honorable mention at BAM Composition Competition, Netherlands.
- 2006 - First Prize at Concours de Composition pour Orchestre d’Harmonie Lambersart – France - "Prix du Public" at Concours de Composition pour Orchestre d'Harmonie Lambersart - France. - Second Prize at Composition Competition of Federal University of Bahia
- 2004 - First Prize at Gilberto Mendes Composition Prize—Honorable mention at Coups de Vents Composition Competition
- 2001 - "Best Sound Track" in a special category at the Gramado Film Festival - First Prize at the Funarte Composition Competition (String Quartet) - Second Prize at the Funarte Composition Competition (String Orchestra) - Second Prize at the Funarte Composition Competition (Symphonic Orchestra) - Public Prize at the Funarte Composition Competition - First Prize at 1er Concours de Composition pour Orchestre à Vent Lys Music Orchestra Comines - Belgium
- 1998 - Second Prize at the II Camargo Guarnieri Composition Prize (USP Orchestra) - 1° Prêmio no I Concurso Nacional de Composição César Guerra-Peixe (FUNARJ/R.J.)
- 1996 - First Prize at the II National Composition Competition for Double Bass (UFMG/ABC - Brazilian Double Bass Association)
- 1993 - Italo-Latin American Institute of Rome Prize (IILA-Accademia Chigiana di Siena)
- 1992- Anzio Music Festival Prize (Premio di Studio)
- 1989 - Scholarship Award, Berklee College of Music, Boston, USA
- 1986 - Funarte Sidney Miller Hall
- 1984- First Prize in the National Composition Competition of Rio de Janeiro