Anderson Cooper 360°
|Anderson Cooper 360°|
|Presented by||Anderson Cooper|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||1,171 (as of March 28, 2008)|
|Executive producer(s)||Charles Moore|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original run||September 8, 2003– present|
Anderson Cooper 360° (commonly shortened to either AC-360 or 360) is a television news show on CNN, hosted by the American journalist Anderson Cooper. It is also broadcast around the world on CNN International.
360° is broadcast live from CNN's Time Warner Center studios in New York City or on location from the site of a breaking news event, airing Monday through Friday from 8:00 pm ET to 9:00 pm ET. It is rebroadcast from 11:00 pm ET - 12:00 am ET, however in the event of breaking news, Anderson Cooper hosts the 11:00 pm airing live. The program covers a number of news stories of the day, usually through live or taped reports from the network's correspondents. The coverage can also include analysis from experts on the issues, commonly featured in or after the taped reports.
360° was launched on September 8, 2003, as a laid-back news/talk program running for one hour at 7:00 pm ET. During Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath, CNN executives noticed an impressive ratings boost of NewsNight due to Cooper's on-site reporting and growing popularity. The executives decided to cancel NewsNight and expand 360° to two hours on November 7, 2005. In August 2011, the show was moved up to 8:00 p.m. ET while maintaining a replay of the show at its original 10:00 pm ET time slot.
In June 2013, however, CNN decided to stop airing regular repeats of the show, with the 10:00 pm ET time slot featuring its spin-off show, AC360° Later, which featured panel discussions on recent events led by Anderson. After being faced with irregular and inconsistent scheduling (sometimes being replaced by CNN documentaries or re-runs of AC360° from earlier in the day), it was finally discontinued in February 2014.
Cooper often anchors the program from the site of a major news story, such as his extensive coverage from New Orleans and the Gulf Coast in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the BP Oil Spill, as well as Port-au-Prince after the 2010 Haiti earthquake, and also from the storm zone in Tacloban, Leyte during the aftermath of Super Typhoon Haiyan.
On September 26, 2007, 360° began broadcasting in high definition on CNN HD.
Frequent analysts and contributors to the show include CNN's Chief National Correspondent John King, Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, Senior Political Analyst David Gergen, Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash, Washington, DC Bureau Correspondent Joe Johns, David Mattingly, Investigative Reporters Randi Kaye and Gary Tuchman, Special Investigations reporter Drew Griffin, and Legal Analyst Jeff Toobin. Other contributors include radio talk show host Roland Martin, truTV's legal analyst Lisa Bloom, terrorism expert Peter Bergen, Senior International Correspondent Nic Robertson, and addiction medicine specialist Dr. Drew Pinsky. King, Wolf Blitzer, Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Jake Tapper and John Berman serves as the fill-in presenters when Cooper is not available.
- "360 Bulletin" appears at the bottom and top of the hour and is presented by Susan Hendricks, who provides a quick review of other news stories of the day.
- "Crime and Punishment" presents the background and latest developments of high-profile crimes.
- "Equal Justice" features a legal panel consisting of Mark Geragos and Sonny Hostin, and occasionally CNN Chief Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin and Attorney Danny Cevalos.
- "Keeping Them Honest" exposes possible issues of government corruption, failed promises, and other anomalies from various sectors.
- "Ridiculist" presents more lighthearted and humorous stories and often airs near the end of the program.
- "Big 360 Interview" presents an interview, almost always conducted by Anderson. It is typically a 360 exclusive, and often is pre-recorded or a sit down.
- "360 Follow" is when Anderson and his team go back to a story they cover extensively in the past. Often, an update on a "Keeping them Honest" piece
Supplements to the TV show
The show's website provides its visitors an overview of the show, what topics the next broadcast will cover, and areas to suggest content for the "Keeping them Honest," "Beat 360" "The Shot" segments. A podcast and videos of previously featured stories are also available at the website.
The website also features a blog which gives viewers an inside look into the stories Anderson Cooper and other CNN correspondents are working on for the show. Visitors can provide feedback to the blog articles, especially the "live blog" which is open during the show. Cooper (or the replacement host when Cooper is away) does "live blogging" where they use the commercial breaks to add entries to the blog during the first hour.
In 2006, 360° was nominated twice for a GLAAD Media Award in the category of "Outstanding TV Journalism – News Segment." The nominated segments were "School Outing" and "Secret Sex Lives." In 2006, the show has won the following News & Documentary Emmy Awards:
- Outstanding Live Coverage of a Breaking News Story Long Form for the report Starving in Plain Sight on the famine in Nigeria 
- Outstanding Feature Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast for the report on Charity Hospital
The show also won the following Business & Financial Reporting Emmy Award in 2006:
- Outstanding Coverage of a Current Business News Story In a Regularly Scheduled Newscast for the report on Black Market Infertility 
The show was nominated but did not win in 2007 for the following News & Documentary Emmy Awards:
- Outstanding Live Coverage of a Breaking News Story – Long Form for the report on Sago Mines.
- Outstanding Individual Achievement in a Craft: Lighting Direction & Scenic Design for the report High Rise Crash
The show was nominated but did not win in 2007 for the following Business & Financial Reporting Emmy Awards:
- Outstanding Coverage of a Current Business News Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast for the report on Keeping Them Honest ‑ Hidden Spending.
The show received two more nominations in 2008 but did not win:
- Outstanding Feature Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast for the report Unapproved Drugs
- Outstanding Investigative Journalism in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast for the report Chicago Police Brutality
In 2011, AC360 won two Emmys for their coverage of the earthquake in Haiti:
- Outstanding coverage of a breaking news story in a regularly scheduled newscast, Haiti in ruins
- Outstanding live coverage of a current news story – long form, crisis in Haiti
- "‘AC360 Later’ Removed from CNN Schedule". TVNewser. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "27th Annual News and Documentary Emmy Awards – Winners". National Academy of the Television Arts & Sciences. 2006-09-25. Retrieved 2008-09-30.[dead link]
- "Anderson Cooper 360 – CNN.com Blogs". Archived from the original on 29 April 2010. Retrieved April 23, 2010.
- "The 28th Annual Emmy Awards for News & Documentary – The Nominations". National Academy of the Television Arts & Sciences. 2007-07-14. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "5th Annual Emmy Awards for Business & Financial Reporting – The Nominations". National Academy of the Television Arts & Sciences. 2007-10-31. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "The 29th Annual Emmy Awards for News & Documentary – The Nominations". National Academy of the Television Arts & Sciences. 2008-07-15. Archived from the original on 26 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "21st Annual GLAAD Media Awards – English Language Nominees". Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. 2010. Archived from the original on 30 January 2010. Retrieved February 21, 2010.
- Guthrie, Marisa (2011-09-26). "CBS News Wins 10 News and Documentary Emmys". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- Official website
- Anderson Cooper 360° on Google+
- Anderson Cooper 360° on Facebook
- Anderson Cooper on Twitter
- Anderson Cooper 360° on iTunes
- Anderson Cooper 360° at the Internet Movie Database
- Anderson Cooper 360° at TV.com
Erin Burnett OutFront
|Anderson Cooper 360
Anderson Cooper 360 (Rerun)
8 PM - 9 PM
11 PM - Midnight
CNN Special Report
CNN Special Report