Iraola playing for Athletic Bilbao
|Full name||Andoni Iraola Sagarna|
|Date of birth||22 June 1982|
|Place of birth||Usurbil, Spain|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:00, 19 May 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Iraola was born in Usurbil, Gipuzkoa. A product of Athletic Bilbao's youth system, Lezama, he made his debuts with the first team in the 2003–04 season, becoming an instant first-choice while often taking Athletic's penalties and free kicks. On 30 August 2003 he made his first La Liga appearance, starting in a 0–1 home loss against FC Barcelona.
During his spell Iraola never played in fewer than 30 league matches, while also helping the Basque club qualify for the 2004–05 UEFA Cup and finish second in the 2009 Copa del Rey; like former club legend Aitor Larrazábal he also contributed with goals, scoring at least once in every season.
On 28 January 2007 Iraola scored twice in a 2–0 away win against neighbours Real Sociedad, who were finally relegated – Athletic narrowly avoided the drop, ranking in 17th position. 2012–13 marked the first campaign where he failed to find the net in the league, but he continued to be club's automatic first-choice in his position as he featured in 35 games; his only goal of the campaign came on 24 August 2012 in a 6–0 home routing of HJK Helsinki for the playoff round of the UEFA Europa League (9–3 on aggregate).
On 20 August 2008, Iraola was called by new Spain coach Vicente del Bosque for a friendly with Denmark, alongside teammate Fernando Amorebieta. He entered the pitch in the final 15 minutes of the 3–0 away success, subbing in for Sergio Ramos.
On 29 March 2011, after nearly one-and-a-half years without playing for the national team, Iraola started in a 3–1 win against Lithuania in Kaunas for the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifiers. He was due to make the cut for the final squad, but injury forced him out in favor of Atlético Madrid's Juanfran.
- Athletic Bilbao
- UEFA Europa League: runner-up 2011–12
- Copa del Rey: runner-up 2008–09, 2011–12
- Supercopa de España: runner-up 2009
- As of match played 1 December 2013
Infobox club statistics
- Player: Iraola; Athletic's official website
- Iraola, sin fin (Iraola, without limits); El País, 20 February 2011 (Spanish)
- Athletic Bilbao 0–1 Barcelona; ESPN Soccernet, 30 August 2003
- Real Sociedad 0–2 Athletic Bilbao; ESPN Soccernet, 28 January 2007
- "Bielsa delighted as Athletic get back on track". UEFA.com. 24 August 2012. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Andoni Iraola’s renewal". Athletic Bilbao. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Mata the catalyst as Spain win in Lithuania; UEFA.com, 29 March 2011
- Negredo, Jordi Alba y Juanfran, tres caras nuevas para tres necesidades (Negredo, Jordi Alba and Juanfran, three new faces for three needs); Goal.com, 28 May 2012 (Spanish)
- Official site statistics
- Includes other competitive competitions, including the Supercopa de España, UEFA Super Cup, FIFA Club World Cup.
- Athletic Bilbao profile
- BDFutbol profile
- Andoni Iraola at National-Football-Teams.com
- Soccerway profile