Andover High School (Massachusetts)
|Andover High School|
|Andover High School|
|80 Shawsheen Road
Andover, Massachusetts, 01810
|School district||Andover Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Marinel D. McGrath, Ed.D|
|Principal||Dr. Chris Lord|
|Number of students||1,734|
|Student to teacher ratio||13:1|
|Hours in school day||6.33 hours|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Merrimack Valley Conference (MVC)|
|Rival||Central Catholic High School|
|Average SAT scores||561 verbal
555 writing (2010)
Andover High School (formerly Punchard High School) is a high school in the town of Andover, Massachusetts. As of October 2010, Andover High's Principal is Dr. Chris Lord; its Assistant Principals are Marilyn Jordan, Mark Seide, and Luz Valverde. The school is located at 80 Shawsheen Road, Andover, Massachusetts.
The school building
The school has a Media Center/Library located in the center of the school and a cafeteria located toward the north-west side of the school. AHS also has a "Field House" and a "Dunn Gymnasium." The former is a large room that is used for indoor track, and it is used for other Physical Education classes and for voting as well. It was added on to the school after its initial construction. The latter is a normal, wood-floored, gymnasium that also holds Phys-Ed classes, but it has a separated weight-room/physical exercise room toward the far end.
The Collins Center (named after J. Everett Collins, a local choir conductor who worked at AHS for many years) serves as the school's theatre. Built in 1983, the Collins Center is separated from the rest of the school, annexed to one end of the high school opposite the field house. The AHS Band, Choral, Drama, and Orchestra Departments are housed here. The Collins Center is home to the marching band, concert band, all-town orchestra, concert choir, chamber choir, show choir, and drama guild. Some of the many productions that have taken place at the Collins Center by the highly talented AHS Drama Guild include Rent: School Edition (2010), The Farnsworth Invention (2010), Sound of Music (2009), Brighton Beach Memoirs (2009), A Chorus Line (2008), and Titanic: The Musical (2007).
Andover High School offers a variety of activities for students. There are over 60 clubs that meet after school ranging from dance to UNICEF, Amigos Unidos to academic clubs. It is also easy to start a new club as long as there are people who want to join it and a faculty advisor to oversee it.
Sports are also offered at AHS for both men and women. Offered year round, the sports vary from Track and Field to Swimming and Diving as well as Volleyball and much more. The teams compete in the Merrimack Valley Conference. The teams are styled as the Golden Warriors, and the mascot is a golden eagle. Andover school colors are navy blue and gold. The Girls Basketball team just won their third State Championship in a row, "three-peat". The Andover boys basketball team was involved in a sexually explicit hazing scandal in November 2011.
Andover High School, as of the 2012–2013 school year, has a population of 1,799 students in grades 9 through 12.
(Data from Massachusetts state department of education) There are a total of 132 full-time teachers on staff, creating a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1.
- Michael Chiklis, actor
- Jay Leno, comedian
- Rob Oppenheim, professional golfer
- Martin Johnson (musician), lead singer of Boys Like Girls
- Ryan Hanigan, professional baseball player
- Buddy Farnham, former Patriots practice squad receiver
- Jesse Gallagher, Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Keyboards of Apollo Sunshine
- Andover Public Schools Web Site accessed 2010-10-23
- Andover students ‘disgusted’ by hazing incident Accessed 2011-11-30
- Andover High School Enrollments Rates Accessed 2009-04-26
- Andover Highschool Student Demographics Accessed 2009-04-26
- Brian Messenger (June 26, 2008). "Keys to the town for Michael Chiklis: Andover's own TV bad boy to be honored tomorrow". The Andover Townsman Online. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- "Jay Leno". NNDB. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- Barry Scanlon. "After a brilliant amateur career, Andover's Rob Oppenheim has set his sights on the PGA Tour". North Shore Golf and Tennis. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- "Andover’s Ryan Hanigan Signs Extension With Reds". CBS Boston. March 14, 2011.