||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|Full name||André Clarindo dos Santos|
|Date of birth||8 March 1983|
|Place of birth||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Left-back/Left Winger|
|2005–2006||→ Flamengo (loan)||22||(0)|
|2006||→ Atlético Mineiro (loan)||15||(0)|
|2013||→ Grêmio (loan)||5||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14:32, 19 October 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
André Clarindo dos Santos (born 8 March 1983), more commonly known as André Santos, is a Brazilian footballer who plays for Flamengo and the Brazil national football team as a left-back, who can also be deployed as a left winger. Santos is a youth product of Figueirense. He made his senior debut for Figueirense in a friendly game against Corinthians. On 15 June 2009, he made his first international appearance as a substitute in a match against Egypt. Santos participated and helped Brazil capture the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup. He joined Arsenal from Fenerbahçe in August 2011.
Early life and career
Corinthians in 2008, with Figueirense retaining 50% economic rights for the future transfer fee. The deal was partially financed by DIS Esporte, to which Corinthians later sold 22.5% of the rights. along with Dentinho and Renato, for R$ 5.4 million total fee. Corinthians also sold 40% rights to Turbo Sports, for R$3.6 million and after that partnered with the investor to sign Figueirense's remain 50% rights, making Corinthians own 37.5% of the players' rights after the deal. However, Corinthians did not pay Turbo Sports for its portion of the transfer fee (from Fenerbahçe), after which the company sued Corinthians.
He scored a total of 10 goals in 52 league appearance for the football club. He scored 5 goals in 25 appearances in the Turkish Super League in the 2010–11 season, making him the top scoring left back in Turkey. On 29 August 2011, Arsenal agreed a €7m fee for the transfer of Santos.
Santos later said that he was not deserting a sinking ship by leaving Fenerbahçe, insisting he loved playing for them. "I am leaving Fenerbahçe from front door," Santos told reporters at Istanbul airport on 31 August. "I love the country, Istanbul and Turkish people. I can come back here at the latter stages of my career. I was happy at Fenerbahçe but I did right thing for my career.
On 31 August 2011, André Santos signed for Arsenal on a long-term contract. He was given the number 11 shirt. Via Turkish Public Disclosure System (for Turkish stocks), Fenerbahçe SK announced the fee was €7 million.
He made his debut for the Gunners on 17 September, starting against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park in a Barclays Premier League fixture, playing the full 90 minutes at left-back in a 4–3 defeat. On 28 September, he scored his first goal for Arsenal in the 2–1 win over Olympiacos in the UEFA Champions League.
On 13 May, he scored the equalising goal against West Bromwich Albion, levelling the score at 2–2. Arsenal went on to win the match 3–2 thanks to a Yossi Benayoun opening goal and a Laurent Koscielny winner.
On 3 November, after a dismal first-half performance against Manchester United, Santos came under even more criticism after having swapped shirts with ex-Gunner captain Robin van Persie at half-time.
On 10 February 2013, Santos moved to Porto Alegre after signing a one year loan deal (with the option for Arsenal to recall him after 6 months) with Grêmio. He was contracted with the club to play in the Libertadores.
On 21 May 2009, he was called up for the first time to the Brazil national team for 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification and the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa. On 15 June 2009, he made his first international appearance as a substitute in a match against Egypt. He then started the following four games as Brazil went on to win the competition. He was in the starting line-up in the Final against United States but was substituted in the 66th minute of play for Dani Alves as he earlier picked a yellow card. Brazil went on to win the match 3–2. However, he was dropped for the friendlies afterwards and Dunga preferred Michel Bastos and Gilberto on the match against Republic of Ireland in February 2010. That 22-man squad against Ireland also became the backbone of 2010 FIFA World Cup squad announced on 11 May. After a disappointing World Cup for the national side, Dunga was replaced by Mano Menezes. Under Menezes, Santos regained his spot in the starting line-up.
||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
- As of 6 October 2012 (UTC).
- "Arsenal complete deal for Fenerbahce defender André Santos". The Guardian (London). 31 August 2011.
- "Situação contratual dos jogadores profissionais". SC Corinthians Paulista (in Portuguese). January 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Situação contratual dos jogadores profissionais". SC Corinthians Paulista (in Portuguese). June 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- "Corinthians vende parte dos direitos de André Santos, Dentinho e Renato". UOL (in Portuguese). 16 August 2008. Retrieved 27 August 2011.
- page 23, "DEMONSTRAÇÕES FINANCEIRAS REFERENTES AOS EXERCÍCIOS FINDOS EM 31 DE DEZEMBRO DE 2008 E 2007". SC Corinthians Paulista (in Portuguese). February 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Figueirense não tem mais direitos sobre André Santos". ClicRBS (in Portuguese). 13 October 2008. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Corinthians é processado por venda de André Santos". R7 Esportes (in Portuguese). 12 September 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Dos Santos and Oliveria join Fenerbahce!". Fenerbahçe Official Website. 20 July 2009. Retrieved 20 July 2009.
- "Doppelpack für Fenerbahce" (in German). transfermarkt.de. Retrieved 21 July 2009.
- "Andre e Cristian assinaram o contrato de 5 anos, Deivid renovou até 2012". Fenerbahçe SK (in Turkish). 24 July 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Turkish Super League Summary 2010–11 Season". WhoScored.com.
- "Arsenal close to signing Brazilian defender Andre Santos". BBC Sport. 29 August 2009. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Brazilian Santos completes move to Arsenal.". arsenal.com. 31 August 2011. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Oyuncumuz Andre Clarindo Dos Santos'un transferi konusunda". Fenerbahçe SK (in Turkish) (Turkish Public Disclosure System (KAP)). 31 August 2011. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Arsenal 3–0 Aston Villa" BBC Sport. 24 March 2012. Retrieved 24 March 2012.
- André Santos chega em Porto Alegre e mira título da Libertadores
- "Dunga convoca Seleção Brasileira para jogos das Eliminatórias e Copa das Confederações" (in Portuguese). Confederação Brasileira de Futebol (CBF). 21 April 2009. Archived from the original on 25 May 2009. Retrieved 22 April 2009.[dead link]
- "André Santos comenta estreia pela Seleção" (in Portuguese). O Globo. 15 June 2009. Retrieved 15 June 2009.
- "Dunga names his Seleção". PA. 11 May 2010. Archived from the original on 14 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Dunga convocou para a Copa do Mundo 22 jogadores relacionados para o último amistoso, contra a Irlanda, em março". CBF.com.br (in Portuguese). 11 May 2010. Archived from the original on 15 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.[dead link]
- "Brazil defender moves to Arsenal". BBC News. 31 August 2011.
- "Andre Santos". Arsenal F.C. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- Arsenal Profile
- zerozero.pt (Portuguese)
- espn soccernet
- André Santos at National-Football-Teams.com