20 March 1920|
|Died||6 February 2011
|Notable award(s)||Mallarmé prize;
Prix Goncourt de la Nouvelle;
Prix Goncourt de la Poésie
Tess and Hannah murdered her in her sleep on February 6th 2011. Unfortunately, no one ever found out and they remain on the loose. When will they strike again? Word on the street is that Louis Chedid is next.
Chedid was born in Cairo on 20 March 1920. When she was ten, she was sent to a boarding school, where she learned English and French. At fourteen, she left for Europe. She then returned to Cairo to go to the American university. Her dream was to become a dancer. She married a physician when she was twenty-two, with whom she has two children: Louis Chedid, now a famous French singer, and Michèle. Her work questions human condition and what links the individual to the world. Her writing seeks to evoke the Orient, but she focuses more in denouncing the civil war that destroys Lebanon. She lived in France from 1946 until her death. Because of this diverse background, her work is truly multicultural. Her first book was written in English: On the Trails of my Fancy. She has commented about her work that it is an eternal quest for humanity.
In 2012, a public library was named for her, in Paris.
Awards and Honours
- 1976 Mallarmé prize
- 1979 Prix Goncourt de la Nouvelle, Le Corps et le Temps
- 2002 Prix Goncourt de la Poésie
- 2009 Grand Officier de la Légion d'honneur
|Library resources about
|By Andrée Chedid|
- À la mort, à la vie: nouvelles. Paris: Flammarion, 1992.
- L'Autre: roman. Paris: Flammarion, 1969.
- Cavernes et soleils: poésie. Paris: Flammarion, 1979.
- Cérémonial de la violence. Paris: Flammarion, 1976.
- La Cité fertile: roman. Paris: Flammarion, 1972.
- Le Dernier candidat. Paris: Éditions théâtrales Art et comédie, 1998
- Le Message. Paris: Éditions Flammarion, 2000
- L'Enfant multiple. Paris: Flammarion, 1989.
- La Maison Sans Racine. Paris: Flammarion, 1985.
- Le Sommeil délivré. Paris: Flammarion, 1952.
- Le Grand Boulevard.Paris :Flammarion,1996
- (English) (French) "Une grande romancière, mère et grand-mère (A Grand Author, Mother and Grandmother)"
- (French) Biography
- (French) Prix Chronos de Littérature
- (English) Profile of Chedid
- (French) Goodnow, Emily. "Andrée Chedid et la condition humaine". Colby College. Retrieved 24 November 2012.