Before World War I, he took 3rd, behind Alexander Alekhine and Frank Marshall, at Paris 1914 (Quadrangular); took 5th at Lyon 1914 (2nd French Amateur championship, Alphonse Goetz won); and won at Paris 1914 (Café de la Régence championship).
After the war, he won at Paris 1922 (Triangular), took 2nd at Paris 1923 (Quadrangular), lost a mini match to Alekhine (0–2) at Paris 1923, tied for 2nd-5th at Margate 1923 (Ernst Grünfeld won), and shared 4th at Strasbourg 1924. He was French Champion in 1931.
Muffang represented France in Chess Olympiads:
- In the 1st Chess Olympiad at London 1927 (+3 –3 =9),
- In the 2nd Chess Olympiad at The Hague 1928 (+9 –0 =7),
- In the 6th Chess Olympiad at Warsaw 1935 (+4 –4 =9),
- In the 12th Chess Olympiad at Moscow 1956 (+3 –5 =7).
He won individual silver medal in The Hague.
- http://www.anders.thulin.name/SUBJECTS/CHESS/CTCIndex.pdf Name Index to Jeremy Gaige's Chess Tournament Crosstables, An Electronic Edition, Anders Thulin, Malmö, 2004-09-01
- http://heritageechecsfra.free.fr/interest.htm Le Championnat de France d'Echecs
- OlimpBase :: the encyclopaedia of team chess
- Welcome to the Chessmetrics site
- Liste des premiers titrés (chrono) - Chessmile