|Born||December 14, 1977
Andrés Orozco-Estrada (born 1977) is a Colombian violinist and conductor.
Andrés Orozco-Estrada was born on December 14, 1977 in Medellín, Colombia. As a youth, he had musical instruction at the Instituto Musical Diego Echavarria (IMDE), where he learned to play violin. He started to take conducting classes in 1992. In 1997, he began additional conducting studies at the Hochschule für Musik und darstellende Kunst, Wien, where his teachers included Uroš Lajovic.
In June 2004, he first conducted the Tonkünstler Orchestra at a Vienna Festwochen concert, as an emergency substitute conductor. This appearance led to his appointment as assistant conductor of the orchestra, a post he held for two years. Orozco-Estrada became principal conductor of the Tonkünstler Orchestra with the 2009-2010 season, with an initial contract for three years. His current contract with the Tonkünstler Orchestra is through the 2014-2015 season, at which time he is scheduled to conclude his tenure.
From 2005 to 2009, Orozco-Estrada was principal conductor of the ensemble recreation - Großes Orchester Graz. He was music director of Oper Klosterneuburg from 2005 to 2007.
Outside Austria, in May 2007, he first guest-conducted the Basque National Orchestra (Orquesta de Euskadi). In December 2008, he was named the orchestra's principal conductor, and took up the post beginning with the 2009-2010 season. He held the post until June 2013. Orozco-Estrada first guest-conducted the hr-Sinfonieorchester in 2009. In March 2013, he was named the next principal conductor of the hr-Sinfonieorchester, effective with the 2014-2015 season, with an initial contract of 4 years. He first guest-conducted the London Philharmonic Orchestra (LPO) in November 2013, on a tour with the orchestra in Germany. In January 2014, the LPO announced the appointment of Orozco-Estrada as its next principal guest conductor, effective September 2015.
In the United States, he made his first guest-conducting appearance with the Houston Symphony in October 2012. This appearance led to a return engagement with the orchestra, for a private rehearsal. In January 2013, the orchestra announced the appointment of Orozco-Estrada as its next music director, as of the 2014-2015 season, with an initial contract of five years and twelve weeks of appearances per season. He holds the title of music director designate for the 2013-2014 season.
He and his wife Julia, a veterinarian, have a daughter, Laura.
- A Moyano (March 21, 2012). "Orozco-Estrada adelanta un año su salida de la Orquesta de Euskadi". Diario Vasco. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- "Orozco-Estrada wird neuer Chefdirigent" (Press release). Hessischer Rundfunk. March 4, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- "London Philharmonic Orchestra appoints Andrés Orozco-Estrada as new Principal Guest Conductor" (Press release). London Philharmonic Orchestra. 15 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- Imogen Tilden (2014-01-15). "Orozco-Estrada named as LPO's new principal guest conductor". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- Steven Brown (January 16, 2013). "Colombia native will be Houston Symphony’s next leader". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- IMG Artists Agency page on Orozco-Estrada
- Orquesta Sinfónica de Euskadi English-language biography of conducting staff
- Tonkünstler Orchestra German-language biography of Orozco-Estrada
- CAMI agency page on Orozco-Estrada
|Chief Conductor, Großes Orchester Graz
|Principal Conductor, Orquesta Sinfónica de Euskadi