|Birth name||Andre Canniere|
Coudersport, Pennsylvania, USA
Andre Canniere (born 02/20/1978 in Coudersport, Pennsylvania) is an American trumpet player and composer. He is based in London, England, where he's lived since 2008. Canniere has toured throughout the United States and Europe, performing at Carnegie Hall, Birdland, the London Jazz Festival, the Hague Jazz Festival and the Rochester International Jazz Festival, among others.
Canniere received a Bachelor of Music degree in Trumpet Performance from Mansfield University in 2001. He then studied at the Eastman School of Music, graduating in 2003 with a Masters in Jazz Studies and Contemporary Media. While at Eastman, Canniere studied with Harold Danko, Clay Jenkins, Fred Sturm, Bill Dobbins and James Thompson. Canniere has also studied with Tim Hagans, Chris Martin, Mark Gould and Terell Stafford.
Canniere moved to New York City in 2003. While there, he performed with many prominent jazz musicians and ensembles, including Maria Schneider, Bjorkestra, Ingrid Jensen, Donny McCaslin and Darcy James Argue.
In 2006, Canniere released his first album as a leader, As Of Yet, on Omatic Records. The album featured Josh Rutner on tenor saxophone, Ryan Ferreira on guitar, Ike Sturm on bass and Ted Poor on drums.
Canniere moved to London in 2008.
Canniere released his second album, Forward Space, in 2012 on Whirlwind Recordings. The album features Canniere (trumpet, flugelhorn, melodica, Rhodes piano, guitar, and cahon), Hannes Riepler (guitar), George Fogel (piano, keyboards), Ryan Trebilcock (bass), Jon Scott and Chris Vatalaro (drums). Forward Space was named one of Jazzwise Magazine's albums of the year in 2012.
In addition to his work as a leader, Canniere performs with Henrik Jensen’s Followed By Thirteen, Dee Byrne's Entropi and the Andy Fleet Band. He also works regularly with non-jazz groups such as We Are Augustines and Stooshe.
As a leader
- Coalescence (Whirlwind Recordings, 2013)
- Forward Space (Whirlwind Recordings, 2012)
- As Of Yet (Omatic Records, 2006)
As a sideman
- Henrik Jensen's Followed By Thirteen, Qualia (Jellymould Jazz, 2013)
- Andy Fleet, Takin' Aim (Low Vinyl Records, 2013)
- Takatsuna Mukai, Sunya (2013)
- Stooshe, Black Heart (WM UK, 2012)
- 4 3 2 1 (Soundtrack, 101 Distribution, 2010)
- Peter Conway, Mother World (2009)
- Danny Valentine & The Meditations, The Lion, the Fish and the Bear (His Dark Master Ltd, 2010)
- Andy Fleet, The Night Falls Fast (2009)
- Crane, Jason. "As Of Yet". All About Jazz. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Lindsay, Bruce. "Forward Space". All About Jazz. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Fordham, John. "Forward Space - review". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Jazzwise Albums of the Year 2012". Jazzwise Magazine. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Canniere, Andre. "London Jazz Festival". AndreCanniere.com. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Parker, Chris. "CD Review: Coalescence". LondonJazz. Retrieved 24 October 2013.