|Occupation||Former United States Navy,
Former head of security, Gold Base, Church of Scientology (Per affidavit in U.S. Federal court)
Andre Tabayoyon is a former member of the Church of Scientology who is primarily known for an affidavit in which he describes the inner workings of the Church. Among other things, he states in his affidavit that he was formerly in charge of security at Church's Gold Base near Hemet, California. He gave testimony about the COS in an affidavit introduced as evidence in the case Church of Scientology International v. Fishman and Geertz.
In his 60-page affidavit, he states that the COS trained him in psychological techniques to create obedience through the use of terror. Tabayoyon gave examples of people being driven insane by the "higher levels" of Hubbard's teaching and even said that this is sometimes done intentionally. In the affidavit, he stated under oath that the base is stockpiling weapons and ammunition.
Tabayoyon stated that Scientology staff were instructed in how to act around Tom Cruise, when he visited the Gilman Hot Springs compound. According to Tabayoyon, members were only allowed to talk to Cruise if he talked to them first, Cruise had to "originate the communications." Those that violated this rule were given "conditioning." Tabayoyon stated in his affidavit that Gold Base guards possessed shotguns, automatic weapons, and semi-automatic assault rifles. The Church of Scientology has questioned the veracity of reports of former members Tabayoyon and Dennis Erlich and suggested they "distorted" some of the incidents they described.
Tabayoyon served in the United States Navy, in the Vietnam War. After his service in the Vietnam war, Tabayoyon began to pay for coursework in Scientology. He served in various positions including the Rehabilitation Project Force, for twenty-one years, leaving, according to his affidavit, after a falling out with David Miscavige.
Full affidavit citation
- Tabayoyon, Andre. 1994. 'Declaration of Andre Tabayoyon.' In Church of Scientology International v. Steven Fishman and Uwe Geertz. United States District Court, Central District of California. Case No. CV 91 6426 HLH (Tx), (4 April): 64 pp. (Attachments plus)
Note: Case 91-CV-6426 is the number of an existing sealed case per the United States Federal Court electronic retrieval system, PACER. However, per an appeal of this case, and an order by Judges for the United States Court of Appeals, the motion to seal this case was denied.
- Minhoff, Christoph; Martina Minhoff (1998). SCIENTOLOGY: IRRGARTEN DER ILLUSIONEN. SONDERAUSGABE FÜR DIE LANDESZENTRALE FÜR POLITISCHE BILDUNG UND DIE INNENBEHÖRDE DER FREIEN UND HANSESTADT HAMBURG, 3., neu bearbeitete und aktualisierte Auflage, © 1998 cm-verlag, Haimhausen Gestaltung und DTP: Herbert Fischer. pp. Page 143, 144.
- Sinclair, Greg (1994-04-13). "Tom Cruise and the weird cult stripped bare". Daily Mirror.
- Billerbeck, Liane; Frank Nordhausen (7 August 1996). "Der Scientology-Star: Morgen startet "Mission: Impossible" mit Tom Cruise. Aussagen eines früheren Scientologen zerstören das Saubermann-Image des Filmidols" (in German). Berliner Zeitung. pp. Page 3.
- Affidavit of Andre Tabayoyon
- Zablocki, Benjamin (2001). Misunderstanding Cults (book). University of Toronto Press. pp. Page 357, 377. ISBN 0-8020-8188-6.
- Ebner, Mark; Andrew Breitbard (2004). Hollywood, Interrupted. John Wiley and Sons. pp. Page 137. ISBN 0-471-45051-0.
- Clarkson, Wensley (1998). Tom Cruise: Unauthorized. Hastingshouse/Daytrips Publ. pp. Page 358, 359, 360. ISBN 0-8038-9406-6.
- Davis, Derek; Barry Hankins (2003). New Religious Movements and Religious Liberty in America. Baylor University Press. pp. Page 194. ISBN 0-918954-92-4.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit - Court of Appeals Docket #: 94-55443 - Filed: 4/13/94 - Church of Scientolog, et al. v. Fishman, et al. - Appeal from: Central District of California, Los Angeles
10/4/94, "Filed order ( James R. BROWNING, Jerome FARRIS, Edward LEAVY, ): Aplt's mtn to seal pending proceedings on remand and any further appeal is denied. [94-55443] (wp) [94-55443].