||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (June 2009)|
Andréa Burns (born February 21, 1971) She is an American actress, singer and songwriter, primarily featured in theatre, recordings and television. She is married to Director/Performer Peter Flynn, whom she met while touring in West Side Story. They have a son named Hudson who is featured on the cover art of her solo album, A Deeper Shade of Red.
Life and career
Burns was born in Miami Beach, Florida to a Jewish father and a Venezuelan mother. She has described herself as "...a Venezuelan Jewess from Miami Beach who grew up loving Broadway theatre." The French Woods Festival of the Performing Arts alumna began her career touring the opera houses of Europe as Maria in West Side Story when she was 18 years old. She has appeared on Broadway as Belle in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, as Vicki Nichols in The Full Monty, and has sung concerts at Carnegie Hall, and other American concert halls, but theatre audiences know her best for her performance in the original company of Jason Robert Brown’s critically acclaimed Songs for a New World. Andréa portrayed Lucille Frank in the national tour of Parade, directed by Harold Prince, for which she received a Touring Broadway Awards nomination for Best Actress. She also created the role of Celeste in Stephen Sondheim ’s Saturday Night at Second Stage Theatre.
Regionally, Andréa was nominated for the Joseph Jefferson Award for Best Leading Actress in a Musical for her portrayal of Dot in Sunday in the Park with George at Chicago Shakespeare Theater. She also played a variety of roles across the American stage, ranging from Eva Peron in Evita to Laurey in Oklahoma!. Other regional credits include Marta in Company and Mary in Jesus Christ Superstar and recently Manuela , (the Judy Garland role ) in the stage premiere of Cole Porter ’s The Pirate. Television credits include a recurring role on the new The Electric Company, Law & Order: SVU as well as the animated series Wonderpets.
Her debut solo album A Deeper Shade Of Red received positive reviews and she also made an appearance on the 2006 Billboard Hot Dance Club Play charts with “100 Stories”- a single she co-produced with her brother, Mike Burns.
She can also be heard on the original cast recordings of In The Heights, Songs for a New World, This Ordinary Thursday - The Songs of Georgia Stitt, Saturday Night, It’s Only Life, Dear Edwina, Shine, Broadway Bound, and Broadway Musicals of 1953.
- Bye Bye Birdie [St. Louis]
The Muny, 2011 Rose "Rosie" Alvarez
- In The Heights [Broadway]
Broadway Transfer, 2008 Daniela
- The Ritz [Broadway]
Roundabout Revival, 2007 Googie Gomez (Standby)
- In the Heights [Off-Broadway]
Original Off-Broadway Production, 2007 Daniela (Originator)
World Premiere, 2006 Manuela
- In This House [New York]
Reading, 2006 Performer
- The Full Monty [US Tour]
National Tour, 2001 Vicki Nichols
- The Full Monty [Broadway]
Original Broadway Production, 2000 Vicki Nichols [Replacement]
- Saturday Night [Off-Broadway]
Off-Broadway Production, 2000 Celeste
- Parade [US Tour]
US National Tour, 1999 Lucille Frank
- Sail Away [Off-Broadway]
New York Concert, 1999 Nancy Foyle
- Songs for a New World [Off-Off-Broadway]
Original Off-Off-Broadway Production, 1995 Performer
- Beauty and the Beast [Broadway]
Original Broadway Production, 1994 Belle [Replacement][Understudy] Townsperson, Enchanted Object [Replacement] Townsperson, Enchanted Object [Replacement] Enchanted Object [Replacement] Townsperson [Replacement]
- West Side Story [European Tour]
European Tour 1992-1993 Maria [Replacement][Understudy]
[Studio Cast, 2008] Performer
[Solo album, 2007]
[The Songs of Georgia Stitt, 2007] Performer
[John Bucchino, 2006] Performer
[Studio Cast, 2004] Performer
[Demo Recording, 2002] Performer
[Studio Recording, 2002] Performer
[Original Off-Broadway Cast, 2000] Celeste
[Original Cast Members, 1995] Performer
- 2007 Drama Desk Award - Best ensemble
- 2003 Joseph Jefferson Awards - Nominee, Actress in a Principal Role – Musical
- 2001 Touring Broadway Awards - Nominee - Best Actress Musical
- Salgado, Luis (2008-05-23). [Youtube.com "Interview"]. RevolucionLatina. Retrieved 2009-06-03.
- Lester, Rob (2006-08-11). [Talkinbroadway.com "As Andréa Burns' World Turns"]. Retrieved 2009-06-03.
- BWW (2009-04-28). [broadwayworld.com "Q&A with Andrea Burns"]. Retrieved 2009-06-03.
- "Winners - National Broadway Theatre Awards". Nationalbroadwayawards.com. 2001. Archived from the original on 2002-02-15. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- Suskin, Steven (2007-11-11). "ON THE RECORD: Solo Albums from Victoria Clark, Lauren Kennedy and Andréa Burns". Playbill.com. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- "Andrea Burns". BroadwayWorld. 2009-06-04. Retrieved 2013-06-05.