Andrea Echeverri performing in 2010.
September 13, 1965 |
|Genres||Rock en español, Latin pop|
Andrea Echeverri (born September 13, 1965) is a Colombian rock/pop singer and guitarist. She is the lead singer in Aterciopelados where she also plays the acoustic guitar. Echeverri has long captivated audiences with her potently melodic brand of feminism. In March 2005 her debut solo album "Andrea Echeverri" was released by Nacional Records, a label focused on promoting the best in Latin alternative music. Andrea is of Basque descent.
Andrea Echeverri (album)
After the critical and commercial success of 2001's Gozo Poderoso, which landed Aterciopelados on the Top 10 of the Billboard Top Latin Albums Sales chart as well as a coveted appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Echeverri took time off for the birth of her first child Milagros, who has proven to be a new point of artistic inspiration. The result is the self-titled album Andrea Echeverri, her first solo release. The disc was produced by Hector Buitrago from Aterciopelados and mixed by Thom Russo (Juanes, Kinky, Johnny Cash), and also features a remix from Richard Blair (Sidestepper).
On "A Eme O", the album's upbeat first single, Echeverri sings “Since you were born, I've become a better lover. Its as if you've unplugged my tubes.” On the chill-out lullaby track "Baby Blues" (which was featured in the soundtrack for the film La mujer de mi hermano), she observes the bond between mother and daughter as Milagros cries late at night. "Some songs are written for Milagros, but they sound like they're written for a lover," said Andrea. Going ever further, she satirizes the highly sexualized lyrics of the Colombian genre called champeta, naming one of the albums tracks "Lactochampeta". “It's kind of a joke, because it has explicit lyrics about lactating,” muses Andrea.
Performances and Projects
A series of tour dates followed the album's release, including headlining the Latin Alternative Music Conference's Women Who Rock concert in front of 10,000 people at the Santa Monica Pier in Los Angeles, as well as the La Banda Elastica Magazine Awards.
In December 2007 Echeverri exhibited her ceramic works at the Feria del Libro in Guadalajara, Mexico, where she also performed with Aterciopelados.
In 2005 the album "Andrea Echeverri" was nominated for a Latin Grammy Award for “Best Female Pop Vocal Album.” The album was nominated for a Grammy Award for "Best Latin Pop Album" in 2006.
For the MTV-LA Awards in 2005, Echeverri was nominated in four categories, winning for “Best New Artist – Central.”
In 2006 the album received two nominations for the Premios Lo Nuestro Awards – "Rock Album of the Year" and "Song of the Year" for the single “A Eme O.”
Echeverri is currently working and performing with Hector Buitrago in their group Aterciopelados. Their album “Oye,” released by Nacional Records in 2006 was awarded a Latin Grammy for "Best Alternative Album" in November 2007. Their latest album is "Rio" which released in October 2008.
|Live Session (iTunes Exclusive)
Awards and nominations
The Grammy Award is an accolade by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences of the United States to recognize outstanding achievement on the music industry. Andrea Echeverri has had one nomination.
|2006||Andrea Echeverri||Best Latin Pop Album||Nominated|
Latin Grammy Awards
|2005||Andrea Echeverri||Best Female Pop Vocal Album||Nominated|
|2013||Ruiseñora||Best Singer-Songwriter Album||Nominated|
- "Fémina Rock: Mujeres de Armas Tomar" El Mundo (25 July 2001) Retrieved 05 June 2010
- "Andrea Echeverri by Andrea Echeverri". iTunes Store US. Apple. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- "Dos by Andrea Echeverri". iTunes Store US. Apple. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- "Ruiseñora by Andrea Echeverri". iTunes Store US. Apple. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- "Live Session (iTunes Exclusive) - EP by Andrea Echeverri & Aterciopelados". iTunes Store US. Apple. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- "Complete list of 6th annual Latin Grammy nominations". USA Today (Gannett Company). November 2, 2005. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Premios Latin Grammy 2013: conozca la lista de nominados". Terra Networks (in Spanish) (Telefónica). September 25, 2013. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andrea Echeverri.|
- Andrea Echeverri – official
- El Arte en Colombia (Andrea as ceramist)
- Andrea Echeverri Says Ruiseñora is "Intimate, Confrontational and Creative"
- Interview with Andrea and People en Espanol
- Article/Interview with Andrea about solo album