December 14, 1972 |
|Alma mater||Occidental College, Columbia University|
|Employer||The New York Times|
Andrea Elliott (b. December 14, 1972) is an American journalist and a reporter for The New York Times. She received the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Feature Writing for a series of articles on an Egyptian-born imam living in Brooklyn.
Elliot was born at Washington, D.C. to a Chilean mother and an American father. She went to Occidental College to pursue her undergraduate studies. When she was studying there, she started working on documentary film. In 1995 she traveled around South America to produce programs about natural history for Chilean television. She completed a BA degree in comparative literature in 1996. After graduating, she produced a documentary which analyzed the subculture of inline skaters in the city of Los Angeles and New York City. She went to Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism for her graduate studies, and completed an MS degree in Journalism in 1999. She graduated first in her class, and was awarded Joseph Pulitzer Traveling Fellowship.
Career as a reporter
Elliot joined The Miami Herald as a reporter in 2000. She covered topics such as crime and Hispanic affairs. She left The Miami Herald, and joined The New York Times in May 2003. As a reporter for The New York Times, she covers Islam in the United States. She has written extensively about the experience of Muslims in the United States after the September 11 attacks. In December, 2013 she wrote a 28,000-word five-part article for the Times on child homelessness in New York, focusing on a Brooklyn pre-teen named Dasani.
In March 2006, she published a three-part series of articles on Sheik Reda Shata in The New York Times. Egyptian-born imam Sheik Reda arrived in Brooklyn one year after the September 11 attacks. The articles are about his life after he arrived in Brooklyn, and the challenges he faced as an imam in the United States.
- "Andrea Elliott (Biography)". pulitzer.org. Columbia University. Archived from the original on 23 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- "Profile: Andrea Elliott '99". Columbia University. Archived from the original on 2012-11-06.
- Elliott, Andrea, "Invisible Child", The New York Times, accessed December 9, 2013.
- "2007 Pulitzer Prizes for Journalism". The New York Times. April 16, 2007. Archived from the original on 26 April 2009. Retrieved June 8, 2009.
- Elliott, Andrea (March 5, 2006). "A Muslim Leader in Brooklyn, Reconciling 2 Worlds". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 30 May 2009. Retrieved June 8, 2009.
- Elliott, Andrea (March 6, 2006). "To Lead the Faithful in a Faith Under Fire". The New York Times. Retrieved June 8, 2009.
- Elliott, Andrea (March 7, 2006). "Tending to Muslim Hearts and Islam's Future". The New York Times. Retrieved June 8, 2009.