McLean at the British Academy Television Awards 2009
5 October 1969 |
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
|Occupation||Journalist, television presenter|
The Weather Channel
Loose Women (2007-)
(m. 2000–2005, divorced)
(m. 2009–2011, separated)
Although born in Scotland, McLean and her sister were raised in Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean. The family then moved back to Scotland when she was 15, but later settled in Leicester. She describes her unique accent as a cross between Scottish and Caribbean which at times can be heard quite strongly, despite living in England since the early nineties.
McLean started her career as a freelance travel writer in 1993. She joined Central Press Features in May 1994, promoted to Production Editor in 1995. In June 1996, McLean joined The Weather Channel, and worked as a weather reporter for Talk Radio. In 1997 she worked on Channel 5's daily talk show Espresso as one of the programme's panelists.
In June 1997, McLean joined GMTV as a weather presenter. Her bubbly personality and journalistic training brought her to the attention of various producers, resulting in her presenting shows such as Our House (series 1) for UKTV Style, and as a guest panellist on Loose Women for ITV.
In January 2006, McLean took part in ITV's reality television ice-skating competition Dancing on Ice, with professional skating partner Doug Webster. She was eliminated in Week 3. McLean and fellow ex-contestant Andi Peters then presented the weekday fan show Dancing on Ice Extra for the rest of the show's run.
McLean filled in for Loose Women's guest host Jackie Brambles, when Brambles went on maternity leave. In July 2008, it was announced that McLean would quit working on GMTV to focus on her role on Loose Women, to share the permanent host job with Brambles. Brambles left the show on 7 August 2009, Kate Thornton took her place as the new anchor when the show returned for its 10th anniversary on 1 September 2009 and shares the job with McLean.
In November 2008, it was announced that she would be replaced as GMTV weather presenter by the BBC's Kirsty McCabe. McLean presented her final broadcast on 31 December 2008, with a special tribute of her career at GMTV.
Personal life 
McLean had a 17 year relationship, starting from their teenage years, with BBC producer Nick Green. The couple married in Kenya in 2000, and have a son Finlay John, born October 2001, Kingston, Greater London. In 2004 it came to light that McLean had an affair with fellow Our House presenter Steve Toms, but had returned to her husband to try to resolve issues.
After divorcing Green, she and Toms moved in together, and lived in Ashtead, Surrey; they had a daughter Amy (born November 2006). The couple married in August 2009, during Loose Women's summer break.
In January 2012, McLean announced she had separated from Toms, having left their marital home in December 2011 with their children following working on their failing marriage for a year. She now lives with her parents.
- "Andrea McLean". gm.tv. Archived from the original on 8 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- "Andrea McLean: Me and my money". thisismoney.co.uk. 2008-03-19. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- "GMTV Star Was Fired For Not Squeezing Oranges Fast Enough". Sunday Mail. 2008-04-20. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- "Andrea McLean". UKTV Style. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- "My Big Break". Daily Record. 2006-01-12. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- "McLean quits GMTV for "Loose Women"". digitalspy.co.uk. 2008-07-21. Archived from the original on 13 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- Spratt, Charlotte (2008-11-20). "Emma is new girl on sofa at GMTV". London: The Sun. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- 3@Three Presspack, ITV Press Centre, 26 July 2010 In 2011 she played the role of Dr. Andrea Grey in the gritty British drama film A Landscape of Lies
- "AFTER PAIN OF DIVORCE THE OUTLOOK IS SUNNY FOR WEATHERGIRL". Daily Record. 2007-10-05. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- Nathan, Sara (2006-06-07). "Andrea is pregnant". London: The Sun. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- "Andrea McLean". ITV.com. Archived from the original on 2 November 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- Lorraine, 31 January 2012
- Andrea McLean at the Internet Movie Database
- Andrea McLean at gm.tv
- Images of McLean @ tvnewsroom.co.uk