Ranocchia with Inter in 2011
|Date of birth||16 February 1988|
|Place of birth||Assisi, Italy|
|Height||1.95 m (6 ft 5 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2008–2010||→ Bari (loan)||34||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 6 May 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
In August 2008, Genoa purchased half of the registration rights for €1.55 million and sent him on loan to Bari, rejoining Arezzo coach Antonio Conte, where he won the Serie B Championship, obtaining promotion to Serie A the following season, and forming a promising defensive partnership with fellow emerging Italian centre-back Leonardo Bonucci. On 26 June 2009 Genoa signed him outright for another €2.45 million, and Genoa paid €4 million in total for him within a year.
On 1 July 2010 he moved back to Genoa. After a link with Internazionale in February 2010, the clubs agreed a deal in June 2010 which involved the transfer of young striker Mattia Destro. The transfer became official on 20 July 2010, which Inter signed half of the registration rights of Ranocchia for €6.5 million and sent Destro on loan to Genoa with option to sign him in co-ownership deal (who later purchased outright for €4.5 million). Ranocchia also loaned back to Genoa for a season.
On 27 December 2010, Internazionale bought full ownership from Genoa for €12.5 million (made him valued €19 million in total) which were later confirmed by Genoa President Enrico Preziosi who expressed his delight at doing business with Inter. The president of Inter, Massimo Moratti, spoke on the transfer to Sky Italia and said: "Finally an Italian. We had kept an eye on him from before. It is our project to go ahead with young players." On 9 January 2011, Ranocchia made his debut against Catania where Inter won the match 2–1. He made his Champions League debut against Bayern Munich in the first leg of the Round of 16; Inter eventually progressed to the Quarter-finals where they were eliminated by eventual semi-finalists Schalke 04. Ranocchia completed his first season with Inter by attaining a second-place finish in Serie A that season, and also won the 2010-11 Coppa Italia with that season, but lost out to Serie A Champions Milan in the 2011 Supercoppa Italiana Final.
Style of play
Ranocchia has been described as a strong, physical centreback with reliable technique, timing, tactical knowledge and an ability to read the game well. He has predominantly drawn praise for his aerial ability, making him a goal threat from set pieces, and former Inter centreback Marco Materazzi has described Ranocchia as his heir due to his own aerial prowess. Former Inter defensive legend and captain Javier Zanetti has also praised Ranocchia for his leadership.
Club career statistics
- As of 22 March 2015.
- Armando Picchi Award: 2010–2011
- Serie A Team of the Year (1): 2010–11
- Genoa CFC 2009 annual report (in Italian). C.C.I.A.A. & registroimprese.it. 28 April 2010.
- "Compartecipazioni". AC Arezzo (in Italian). 26 June 2009. Retrieved 8 March 2010.[dead link]
- Graziano, Mirko (22 June 2010). "Maicon, ci sono solo due milioni fra l' Inter e il Real". La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- Genoa CFC Report and Accounts on 31 December 2010 (Italian)
- "Mattia Destro on loan to Genoa". FC Internazionale Milano (www.inter.it). 20 July 2010. Archived from the original on 25 July 2010. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- "Andrea Ranocchia signs five-year contract". FC Internazionale Milano (www.inter.it). 21 July 2010. Archived from the original on 24 July 2010. Retrieved 21 July 2010.
- FC Internazionale Milano Report and Accounts on 30 June 2011 (Italian)
- "Ranocchia completes second training session with Inter". footballitaliano (www.footballitaliano.co.uk). 30 December 2010. Retrieved 30 December 2010.[dead link]
- "New Inter captain Rocchia keen to emulate Zanetti". Sportal. 17 July 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "World Cup 2014: Striker Giuseppe Rossi in Italy's provisional squad". BBC. 13 May 2014. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Inter, Zanetti: "Ranocchia ha la stoffa del capitano. E Cambiasso..."". Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Materazzi: "Cassano, uno vero Non fa male a chi crede in lui"". Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Serie A - Zanetti: "Io mai allenatore, Ranocchia capitano"". Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Andrea Ranocchia Bio, Stats, News – Football / Soccer – - ESPN FC". ESPN FC. Retrieved 6 April 2010.