Andrean High School
|Andrean High School|
Magister Meus Christus
Christ Is My Teacher
Merrillville, Indiana, 46410
|Type||college preparatory school|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic,
Congregation of St. Basil,
Sisters of Saints Cyril and Methodius
|School district||Diocese of Gary|
|Principal||Mary Beth Ginalski|
|Campus size||20 acres (8.1 ha)|
|Color(s)||Red and Gold|
|Slogan||"Where Excellence is a Result"|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Crossroads Conference|
|Mascot||Andy the Miner|
|Rival||Bishop Noll Institute|
|Athletic Director||Bill Mueller|
Andrean High School is a coeducational Catholic college preparatory school located in Merrillville, Indiana. The school was founded in 1959, and named after the first bishop of the diocese of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Gary, Andrew Grutka. Since its founding, Andrean has been staffed in part by members of the Basilian Fathers and the Sisters of Saints Cyril and Methodius. The school colors are red and gold in honor of the martyrdom and subsequent glory of St. Andrew. The school motto is "Magister Meus Christus," or "Christ is my teacher."
The school's teams are the Fighting '59ers. This name comes from the address of the school, 5959 Broadway, and the year of its founding- 1959. The 1969 '59ers football team was the school's first undefeated varsity football squad. The 2004 '59ers football team won the Indiana high school class 3A football championship defeating the Heritage Hills Patriots 21–14 in Indianapolis to cap off a 13–2 season. The 2013 '59ers football team won the Indiana High School class 3A State Championship, defeating Indianapolis Brebeuf Preparatory 35 to 27, to top off an undefeated season (15-0). From 1980–2008 the men's baseball team has 3 state titles; in 2005, 2009, and 2010. The Andrean softball team won three state titles in 1998, 2007, and 2012.
- Dawn Brancheau (LoVerde), SeaWorld trainer; killed by orca "Tilikum" on February 24, 2010.
- Dan Dakich, college basketball player for Indiana University and longtime head coach at Bowling Green.
- Luke Harangody, former college basketball player for Notre Dame and current professional basketball player for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Sean Manaea, baseball player
- Pete Visclosky, member of Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Indiana's 1st district (northwest Indiana)
- Andrean High School Catholic high school in Merrillville Indiana offers college prep curriculum, extra curricular activities & sports for boys & girls
- IHSAA Boys Football State Champions
- IHSAA Baseball Team State Champions
- IHSAA Girls Softball Team State Champions
- Sean Manaea mania is on the rise