Andreas is a parish in the Sheading of Ayre lying in the north of the Isle of Man. It is one of three parishes along with Bride and Lezayre in the sheading of Ayre. The small parish of Bride is located to the North-East at around 2.5 miles from the parish's centres with the parish of Jurby being found to the West around 2.6 miles away.
The parish stretches from Lhen Moar, 4 miles (6.4 km) along the north-western coast to Bride. It is north of Lezayre, east of the parish of Jurby and borders on the Irish Sea to the north from where the Scottish Southern Uplands and the Mull of Galloway can sometimes clearly be seen. The total area is about 15 square miles (39 km2).
The Isle of Man census 2006 lists the parish population as 1,381, increased from the population of 1,152 in 2001.
The village of Andreas or Kirk Andreas is in the parish.
The northeast corner of Andreas is home to the former RAF Andreas airfield. It is home to a small number of privately owned light aircraft and also used by a gliding club.
- Manxnotebook Andreas Detail about Manx parishes and description of the parish.
- Manxnotebook - Andreas with full description of the parish and photographs
- Manxnotebook Kirk Andreas Antiquities
- Isle of Man Building Control Districts showing parish boundaries
- Glenology - Manx Glens An ongoing study of Manx glens, their locations and meanings.
|This Manx location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|