Andreas J. Köstenberger
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (July 2013)|
|Andreas J. Köstenberger|
November 2, 1957 |
|Tradition or movement||Evangelical|
Andreas J. Köstenberger (born November 2, 1957) is Senior Research Professor of New Testament and Biblical Theology at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (SEBTS) in Wake Forest, North Carolina. His primary research interests are the Gospel of John, biblical theology, and hermeneutics.
Köstenberger was born on November 2, 1957, in Vienna, Austria, where he was raised in the Roman Catholic Church. As a young man, Köstenberger converted to Evangelicalism. He holds a doctorate from the Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien (the Vienna University of Economics and Business).
At the age of twenty-seven, Köstenberger left Austria for the United States to pursue theological studies at Columbia Bible College and Graduate School of Missions. In 1990 Köstenberger began doctoral studies at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School under D. A. Carson, submitting his dissertation on the mission motif in the Gospel of John in 1993.
Köstenberger then taught at Briercrest Bible College for two years, returned to Trinity for a one-year teaching position to cover for D. A. Carson while he was on sabbatical (during which time, in 1996, Köstenberger received an "Award for Scholarly Productivity" from Trinity), and then took a teaching position at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (SEBTS) in 1996, where he is currently Senior Research Professor of New Testament and Biblical Theology. At SEBTS he has served as director of Ph.D. studies and won a "Presidential Appreciation Award" for outstanding contribution in academic achievement in 2002.
He is editor of the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society (JETS) and founder of Biblical Foundations, an organization that "exists to strengthen the biblical foundations of the family, the church, and society."
Köstenberger met his wife, Margaret (Marny) Gerrard, while at Columbia Bible College and Graduate School of Missions. They were married on December 2, 1989 and have four children.
Recent or notable books
- The Missions of Jesus and the Disciples According to the Fourth Gospel (1998; ISBN 978-0-8028-4255-8)
- Named one of "Fifteen Outstanding Books of 1998 for Mission Studies" by the International Bulletin of Missionary Research
- With L. Scott Kellum and Charles L. Quarles, The Lion and the Lamb: New Testament Essentials an abridgment of "The Cradle, the Cross, and the Crown" (2012, ISBN 978-1-4336-7708-3)
- With L. Scott Kellum and Charles L. Quarles, The Cradle, the Cross, and the Crown: An Introduction to the New Testament (2009, ISBN 978-0-8054-4365-3)
- With Richard D. Patterson, Invitation to Biblical Interpretation, Invitation to Theological Studies (2011, ISBN 978-0-8254-3047-3)
- Was a Finalist for the 2013 Christian Book Award under Bible and Reference
- Excellence: The Character of God and the Pursuit of Scholarly Virtue (2011, ISBN 978-1-58134-910-8)
- With David W. Jones, Marriage and the Family: Biblical Essentials (2012, ISBN 978-1-4335-2856-9)
- Co-editor with David Croteau, Which Bible Translation Should I Use? A Comparison of 4 Major Recent Versions (2012, ISBN 978-1-4336-7646-8)
- With Michael Kruger, The Heresy of Orthodoxy (2010, ISBN 978-1-4335-0143-2)
- With David W. Jones, God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation (2004, ISBN 978-1-58134-580-3; 2nd ed. 2010, ISBN 978-1-4335-0364-1)
- A Theology of John's Gospel and Letters: The Word, the Christ, the Son of God, Biblical Theology of the New Testament (2009, ISBN 978-0-310-26986-1)
- With Scott Swain, Father, Son, and Spirit: The Trinity and John's Gospel, New Studies in Biblical Theology (2008, ISBN 978-0-8308-2625-4)
- Köstenberger, Dossier.
- Köstenberger, Excellence, p. 20.
- Köstenberger, Excellence, p. 18–19.
- Köstenberger, Excellence, p. 22.
- Köstenberger, Excellence, p. 23.
- Köstenberger, Excellence, p. 23–24
- Köstenberger, Dossier.
- "Biblical Foundations."
- Köstenberger, Dossier
- "Biblical Foundations". Google Plus. Retrieved 25 January 2013.[dead link]
- Köstenberger, Andreas J. "Dossier (PDF)". Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Köstenberger, Andreas J. (2011). Excellence: The Character of God and the Pursuit of Scholarly Virtue. Wheaton, IL: Crossway. pp. 18–24. ISBN 978-1-58134-910-8.
- "Köstenberger, Andreas Johannes". SEBTS Faculty Directory. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "Publications". The Evangelical Theological Society. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Toomb, Sheri. "ECPA Announces 2013 Christian Book Award Finalists; Winners to Be Announced Mon., Apr. 29". ECPA. Retrieved 22 March 2013.